Fuji Camera bag for traveling

ferrydds

Regular
Name
DAVID S. FERRY III,DDS
Camera bag for traveling with these lenses

I am going to Barcelona.Need a camera bag to hold my XE-2,18-55mm,55-200mm.,and 14mm.Any suggestions?Thanks,David S. Ferry,III,DDS.

Billingham Hadley Pro, or given that you are going to Barcelona, a Hadley insert in a cheap bag from GAP or the like. I'd seriously question the need for the 55-200; I'd more likely take something fast like the 35 or 23.

As per Bill and Rico's advice, Barcelona is notorius for pickpockets and general theft. It's also a great city with plenty for any photographer and well worth taking a decent camera.

I've just returned from 2 weeks in Japan, the 55-200 was used for no more than a dozen frames, the 18-55 was a great all-rounder.

Camera bag, something old and beaten up, I took a Lowepro Nova 1, small but big enough for a few filters and cards. Picked it up on Ebay for less that $15.

David, I was there a few years ago. It is a beautiful city, but petty theft is rife and the police are relatively powerless/disinterested. The Ramblas are renowned for pickpocketing and bag theft, as is the area around the Sagrada Familia, This travel scams infographic is going the rounds at the moment, and is a good aide memoire.

From personal experience I would say that as long as you follow these golden rules:
  • Don't carry more than you can keep track of
  • Don't let yourself be distracted
  • Don't let your bag out of your sight at any time in cafes, restaurants and pubic transport
  • Don't sling your bag at your back in crowds
  • Don't look like a victim
  • Don't look rich
  • Don't look lost
  • Don't forget to be adequately insured

...then you should be fine.

Oh, and two other things. Firstly, DON'T put your faith (or your life) in those bag and camera straps that have a steel cable running through them. You do not want to be dragged down the street to a bloody pulp behind a bag snatcher on a moped. Secondly, DON'T be a hero. If someone pulls a knife on you just give them the damn camera, eh? I am 6'3" and I would not argue.

In case you think I have a downer on Barcelona, by the way, I don't. I apply the same rules worldwide.

Back