Bags Camera bags - options?

Tamrac, not tarmac. Tarmacs pretty heavy to carry around!

I use three bags. The main one is Courser. It's my favourite - a padded insert gives good protection and is removable so I can use it as an overnight bag if I want, the fastening is studs so quick and quiet access, but a zip as well if i want a more secure closure. Zip pocket at the front, two studded side pockets where I keep tissues, wetwipes, a pen and lens caps or the 16mm. Thick carry strap. The sencond is a leather satchel but with the courser padded insert. The third is an old canvas gas mask bag which I lined with plywood - smaller than the others.

I am considering a new bag, probably Courser again, more of a rucksack but split horizontally so camera gear in one compartment, coat shopping etc in the other.

I recycled a 12-year-old Tamrac 5201 belt/shoulder bag that still held my old Oly E-100RS. I also have an old Cullmann backpack with space for a tablet, and if I pull the camera insert out it fits nicely into a Carradura saddlebag on the bike. Kit is E-P3-based.

So after much umm-ing and ahh-ing I finally decided on a Vanguard Up-Rise 28. I checked out every single bag that everyone mentioned here and I couldn't decide for a while, the one that I kept going back to look at was the Bare Bones bag. The Vanguard turned to be cheaper than the Bare Bones, very well made, lots of padding and protection and similar in features.

Vanguard

Hmmm. I have been looking for months. It has been years since I bought a bag. Don't really like anything except the Billinghams which are very elegant and expensive. I couldn't mistreat them in the way I wish to use a bag. Having pondered the point, looked about everywhere, I am about to order a Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney with a waist belt. Cheap, eminently practical, it will allow me to walk about without anything slung over my shoulder and leave my hands free to carry a tripod or hold on to a branch or climb up and keep my balance. I won't feel hurt if I mistreat and damage it and can afford to replace it. Above all one can mail order from Australian suppliers at excellent prices.

Hmmm. I have been looking for months. It has been years since I bought a bag. Don't really like anything except the Billinghams which are very elegant and expensive. I couldn't mistreat them in the way I wish to use a bag. Having pondered the point, looked about everywhere, I am about to order a Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney with a waist belt. Cheap, eminently practical, it will allow me to walk about without anything slung over my shoulder and leave my hands free to carry a tripod or hold on to a branch or climb up and keep my balance. I won't feel hurt if I mistreat and damage it and can afford to replace it. Above all one can mail order from Australian suppliers at excellent prices.

I have a Think Tank Retrospective 5 shoulder bag and it is built like a "tank". The stuff they make seems very high quality. Let us know what you think of that model.

I just bought from ebay a 16 year old Billingham Hadley. Ok its well used, stained and scuffed. And i suspect i paid too much.
But it has another 16+ years of use in it. And it looks and feels great. I will have a spare insert soon so i ca swap between
my Nikon 1 and Gxr kits. I Have found my bag !

I got a ww2 French ammo bag (canvas and leather) off eBay for a tenner delivered. Two compartments.
Perfect for a body with lens, second lens, and a few rolls of flim. And a Crunchie.

Back