Camera choices

Get your hands on before you slam down the plastic

I'm with Dean, Luke, Ray and co. IQ is meaningless if the camera doesn't feel good in the hand. Honestly you will simply not shoot with it! Also don't simply judge on the opinion of others - and even others with similar preferences (or sized/shaped hands). Luke's mitts look similar to mine but....

From release, I wanted the OM-D to upgrade from my GF1 - I mean I had a bagful of the sweetest glass for it just awaiting. I read every review from the States and was set...here comes my perfect camera! Paid a deposit and pre-ordered an Aussie model. It arrived at my local store and I drooled, it looked superb! then I moved from ogling to gently cradling, then I nursed the controls and took it to my eye. Shot a few images and - long story short - it didn't leave the store. As much as I wanted to love it, it just didn't feel right. Nothing against the OM-D but it just weren't for me.

Again moral of the story here isn't that the OMD is an inferior camera, but do not buy anything on spec. Try before you buy. You will fall in love with the camera that feels right; as these are usually the units that more quickly and easily simply get out of the way so you can commune with your subject.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I think that Fuji have done a great thing in releasing the X-M1 with twin multi-function dials even though it is their entry level model, however I still don't see it matching an equivalent Micro 4/3 camera for performance and versatility. On the other hand I think that the E-PL5 suffers for only having one control dial and a too small LCD screen but benefits a lot from having a touchscreen. I see the X-M1 more as a competitor for the upcoming E-P5, but based on what I know I would be prepared to pay more for the Olympus than I would for the Fuji. If the X-M1 ends up being a couple of hundred dollars less than the E-P5 it would be a tough call to make.

Back