Camera for Disneyland

Andrewteee

All-Pro
Taking the family to Disneyland over spring break along with another family. Naturally, I am the designated photo guy, but I'm not sure which type of camera to take. The options include...

• Pentax K30 with 18-135mm lens
  • Nikon Coolpix A 28mm APS
  • Buy a zoom P&S like my old Olympus XZ-1

2 days, 2 kids, lots of moments. I am reluctant to take the DSLR, but reading online many people continue to recommend them over P&Ss. I'd love to take the Nikon A, but it is limited to 28mms. I'm fine with that, but it is limiting. P&Ss generally seem to disappoint, but newer ones appear to have improved.

The point of the trip is obviously fun and not photography, but given the age of our kids and their excitement for the trip there are bound to be moments that we want to capture. I plan to take a backpack with water, snacks, etc, but the camera will need to be more accessible. Advice appreciated.

The K30 with the 18-135 will give you the most flexibility and has weather resistance just in case the skies open up - as long as you don't mind carrying it. After that, you could use the Nikon and crop afterward if you need to. But something like an Olympus XZ-1, XZ-2, Panasonic LX7 or Pentax MX-1 (which itself is a nicer take on the Olympus XZ-2 with tiltable EVF on the back) might be better - in terms of flexibility combined with light weight and smaller size. I wouldn't stress too much about ultimate image quality. Remember, this is a vacation and you'll be taking happy snaps, not museum displays. In the years and decades hence, your family won't be worried about image quality as much as the moment captured. Have a great time.

Thanks Biro. Yeah, time has already shown me that equipment and IQ do not matter in older family pictures. Good point to keep in mind.

I'd take the RX100 if I was going or something of that size. You want something small that isn't gonna get in the way of your fun.

The K30 is a tempting camera though! But it would be too big for me for that kind of adventure.

Have fun when you get there!

The RX100 is a great suggestion and so is the Fujifilm X20 if one is willing to touch the $600 mark and slightly above. And the Fuji has a viewfinder in case the light gets too bright for the rear LCD.

I don't think there's a need to purchase another camera for this trip to Disney, but I can understand that this is part and parcel of us photographers whenever there is an upcoming trip - what and which cameras to take. I would take the Pentax and the zoom if you don't mind the size. But for just pure fun, I think the Nikon Coolpix would suffice even if it's fixed at 28mm. Enjoy!

Interestingly, even though I am a dedicated Pentaxian, I wouldnt take it to Disneyland (and yes, I have done the Orlando Disney thing, about 20 years ago, with a Pentax film compact with what would be, I guess, a 3x zoom) I'd choose something with a small zoom, so the XZ, the RX100 or similar (if it were me, it would be the XZ)

Did I mention that I lived in Orlando for 10 years and have done the Disney thing more times than I want to remember? It finally got to the point that my wife would take her friends and family and I would take mine. The good part is that I never paid to get in because I was in the local media.

But this is a long-winded way of saying that Sue is right. It gets really sunny and really hot at Disney World. Carrying heavy and moderately heavy things is not recommended. Days can get long and "zooming with your feet" can get old, too. A ZX1/2, an LX7 or MX-1 would work fine. So would a X-20, which has a viewfinder (very useful in the very bright Florida sun).

Remember: wear a hat and hydrate often.

Appreciate the further thoughts. I decided that the best course of action was to go light and simple. We are there for two very busy days and my kids will be (excited) maniacs. Having a DSLR swinging around did not sound pleasant. I saw frustration on the horizon. I evaluated my current options on hand, but nothing seemed to work. What I need to have around anyway, and specifically for my trip, is the compact that a few of you mention. After my great experience with the Nikon A I bought a Nikon P330 which was released at the same time. It is very small and light and just the ticket. And frankly the IQ is very good too. Still small sensor, but more capable than I imagined. I'll tweak and find the right JPG settings over the next few days and then set and forget. I also plan to take the A simply because I'm so in love with it right now. I'm trying to use it everyday.

I've been reading Daido Moriyama's Tales of Tono, the first English translation just released. In it he writes that he shot only with a 28mm camera. While I find Daido's work repetitive at times it still intrigues me. In his spirit of "grabbing snapshots" I've been trying to find pictures where they may not be obvious.

BTW temps at Disneyland looks pleasant - 50-75 degrees and sunny.

I'm going to Florida later in the year and have decided to take my LX7 and Olympus E-PM1 with 14mm & 20mm pancake lenses. The DSLR will stay at home! Your choice of the P330 looks ideal! Have a great time!