Micro 4/3 Camera / Lens Recommendation for a Young Newbie

A second hand Panasonic LX100 or LX100ii unless she wants a longer telephoto. A relatively large sensor and a fast zoom from wide to portrait.

Hmm... OK, maybe it's MY dream compact.
I got a bunch of cameras at the moment. If I had to sell ALL my gear, the lx100 would be the last one I will sell. It's so nice.

Interesting that so little has changed between the TZ70 and Z95. Unfortunately the changes do matter for my daughter: specifically, and in order, the tilting screen, 4K video and Bluetooth control. Also it's a milestone birthday and we'd like to make it special with something new.
A model that has slid under the radar in this tread is the GX880, pair that with a 12-32 and 35/100 kit combo and it should be a system that is very adaptable for a budding photographer. And it is somewhat pocketable and unobtrusive.

If I may toot my own horn, there is a tread on it here: The GX880

A second hand Panasonic LX100 or LX100ii unless she wants a longer telephoto. A relatively large sensor and a fast zoom from wide to portrait.

Hmm... OK, maybe it's MY dream compact.
That would be mine too (or, possibly, the LX10/15) but the LX100's zoom is just too small for her. Plus she wants the 'selfie' screen.
A random thought - do you have a camera store nearby(-ish)?

Might be worth for her to hold/try some of the cameras before buying... If there's a camera she feels more comfortable with, she's bound to use it more
(even if the specs on paper may not be the biggest/longest/fastest :) )
Absolutely. I've put down a refundable deposit on the TX95 at my favoured local store. If she doesn't like the camera, there's no loss other than a few hours of daddy and daughter time. ;)

Last edited:
Back