Camera suitcases

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
Hi, which camera suitcases do you recommend?
I need one or two to store my camera stuff.
I prefer easy access to my photographic gear.

How much gear do you need to store, and what type of gear is it?

I have a lot of camera bags, and cases. So much depends on how much and what type. The Nikon FB-5 has a metal plate with 3 F-Mount bayonets in it. Means easy lens changes.

Thanks for the replies.
Listing of gear:
Pan G1 + 14-42 + charger
Sigma DP2 + charger
Sony RX100 + charger
Panasonic TZ100 + charger
Pentax Q + fisheye + prime + zoomlens #1 + zoomlens #2 + charger + flash unit Metz for PEN + spare batteries + converter Nikon > Q + remote control Pentax O-RC1 + spare batteries
Bellows
Instruction manuals
I'm looking for a suitcase.
Best, Herman

Just to add- you can often find these cases used or manufacturer surplus.

You can add your own foam separator kit. They are rugged.

Just to add- you can often find these cases used or manufacturer surplus.

You can add your own foam separator kit. They are rugged.
For that case, here's a foam kit from B&H as an example.

Two words of caution:

Nothing leather, it can hold moisture and cause mold.

Hard cases with foam lining can do the same. Long-term storage in soft foam is a bad idea. Those cases with the pull-apart foam to fit your gear are great for travel, not so much for storage.

How about a foot-locker; like military surplus...
Foot-locker.jpeg

Thanks for the replies so far.
I'm looking for a suitcase that stays at home.
Can you tell us more about how you envision using this storage solution, Herman?

In my mind, a "suitcase" implies travel, but it seems you're looking for something to use only in your home. Why a suitcase instead of a cabinet? For in home storage I would think a dry cabinet would be considered the gold standard.

If you're dead set on a suitcase, are you envisioning some sort of soft-sided, padded case? Or something like a foam lined, hard-sided Pelican case?

Are you wanting a single case that will accommodate all the gear you listed?

Do you have some sort of budget in mind?

- K

I keep all my cameras and lenses in a nice cabinet, and all the batteries, chargers, filters, straps, and other miscellaneous accessories in Tupperware style containers next to it. Once I decide what I’m shooting, I go to the top one and grab the batteries and filters, the next one for the charger, the next for the strap I want to use and so on. Works if you have the space.
68958703-2A40-4B42-86DF-66D1188BAA2F.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Which camera inserts are available for hard cases, for example for Pelican Storm iM2500 Rigid Case?

Should I go for a single Sigma, Pan, Sony, Pentax case?

Thanks for the replies. A dry cabinet is not necessary?
To me, it really depends on your local climate. If you live in a humid environment (e.g. Singapore, Philippines, Hong Kong, etc.), then I would want to have an electronic dry cabinet. On the other hand, if you live in a relatively less humid environment, which is the category I'd assume The Netherlands would fall, then I think you can get along without a dry cabinet.

Since a cabinet tends to be relatively darker and more humid, I'd suggest storing some desiccant packets amongst your gear, which you can "recharge" periodically by baking them in the oven.

- K

Last edited:
I keep all my cameras and lenses in a nice cabinet, and all the batteries, chargers, filters, straps, and other miscellaneous accessories in Tupperware style containers next to it. Once I decide what I’m shooting, I go to the top one and grab the batteries and filters, the next one for the charger, the next for the strap I want to use and so on. Works if you have the space.
View attachment 295701
Nice looking setup, Chris. But it bothers me that your two PEN Fs are not stored next to each other. :confused:

- K

Mm, how do you store your photographic equipment at home?
Ideally, I'd have something like what Chris has. But in reality my gear is scattered (some might say hidden) around my house and garage in various cabinets, desk drawers, camera bags, shelves and storage bins, somewhat at random. This is partly because I'm bad at organizing, partly depending on my wife's whims on where she chooses to store "her" stuff and partly because if I put all my gear in one place I'd have to reckon head on with the fact that there is no way I can rationalize the amount of gear I've accumulated.

My one somewhat half-hearted attempt to insert a bit of order into this chaos was the purchase of a cheap, Pelican-style case to consolidate the storage of some of my lenses. You can see the result of this here.

- K

Back