Challenge! Cameraderie Challenge #35: Reflected (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Start Date
Jul 10, 2020
End Date
Jul 31, 2020
Start Date July 10, 2020
End Date July 31, 2020

This Cameraderie 35th Challenge theme is: REFLECTED.

As usual, this challenge will consider originality, technical merit, and artistic vision.

As photographers, many of us are interested in, fascinated by or occasionally obsessed by the nature of that which is REFLECTED. Reflections come from many sources, some obvious, some less so - including glass, mirrors, reflective surfaces. There is however another sense of the word - to reflect upon something is to examine it, to consider it - to weigh it, metaphorically - sometimes to judge it, sometimes to search for meanings or directions. The Greek philosopher Socrates is supposed to have commented, before his death, that a life 'unexamined' - or not reflected upon - was not truly 'lived'. In this sense, something that has been 'reflected on', has been examined, in some way that is meaningful.

Any and all interpretations of the word and the concept Reflected will be allowed, accepted and considered. I'd also like to echo Kyle's comments from the preceding challenge, and encourage you to submit a brief written explanation or statement about your photograph and how it fits in with the theme of this challenge.

This challenge will run for 3 weeks - starting today, July 10, and running through July 31 -- Please submit your entry by the end of Friday, July 31 2020. I will do my best to evaluate and judge in a timely fashion after that, though lately my sense of time and timing in these pandemic-altered days and weeks has been a bit "off", so no guarantees.

So....on your mark - get set - GO! START REFLECTING (literally or metaphorically!

Miguel

--------

No change to the tried and trusted rules, which are as follows:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per challenge, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Cameraderie Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own challenge.

Last edited:
As examples - and I am afraid most of my interpretations presented here are on the more obvious side---

Reflection-Ektar.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And "obvious" is not a bad thing--

Selfie in Bufano Sculpture (Velvia).jpg

This next one is admittedly a bit of a stretch, not to say a little more esoteric ;) --

Naked Buddha.jpg

I'm guessing that almost everyone has one or two images in mind, and many of us have probably accumulated our own collections thereof--

rear-view_mirror.jpg

So please - let your imaginations and your visions, not to mention your lenses and your reflective capabilities - have a field day!

The two hens remind me of the experiments I did in first year of college with fishes and mirrors. Will there be a fight?
Or will it be like our cat, on seeing himself in a slideshow, jumped up and sat staring at himself trying to comprehend the timelapse?

The two hens remind me of the experiments I did in first year of college with fishes and mirrors. Will there be a fight?
Or will it be like our cat, on seeing himself in a slideshow, jumped up and sat staring at himself trying to comprehend the timelapse?
The owner of the chickens (there were other chickens not just the one and a mirror) told me that they did fight their reflections, in fact I have another shot in the series that perhaps shows a more interesting look but I like this one better.

I read somewhere that dogs and cats lack the awareness of, I don't know what it's called, but reviewing themselves, I think my dog knows a mirror reflects.

Back