Challenge! Cameraderie Challenge #35: Reflected (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

The owner of the chickens (there were other chickens not just the one and a mirror) told me that they did fight their reflections, in fact I have another shot in the series that perhaps shows a more interesting look but I like this one better.

I read somewhere that dogs and cats lack the awareness of, I don't know what it's called, but reviewing themselves, I think my dog knows a mirror reflects.
Many primates understand. There was a well known video of an ape checking out his butt in mirror.

Finally I decided on an image that combines both aspects of reflection, physical as well as introspective:
PICTOGRAMAX - 2010 - MUTE.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

How time flies...

I don't really understand how it happened, but suddenly I realized that today is, in fact, Friday the 31st (and last day) of July - which means the 'Reflected' Challenge will end in a few short hours. I should have given this notice earlier, so let's simply say that all entries from now until the sun next rises....will be counted.

So if you have been reflecting on or have reflections of or have any other interpretation of this photographically challenging theme....NOW is the time for submissions!

This has been a truly difficult Challenge to judge. The entries and images here are all great ones, in a variety of ways and for a multitude of reasons.

emerson - David. your monochrome photo - of the reflection of a silhouetted person standing amidst the reflections of the trees that surround them - has a mystical and almost magical quality to it. For an instant it reminded me, in a good way, of the X-Files. It's a great image.

ErichH - Erich-- your image of multicolored geometric reflections - running along the top of the exterior of a car's windshield - is really, really cool. Especially because of its contrasts with the almost monochromatic mundanity of the car's interior, in the bottom of the photo. This photo rivals some very cool modern abstract paintings.

rayvonn - The image of a patient, masked commuter - at a subway or train station - surrounded by a small sea of other commuters, masked and unmasked - and unaware of his own life-size reflected image, directly behind him - is a great Challenge entry. It's a seemingly simple photograph but one whose parts keep on adding up to an interesting and thoughtful whole. I really like it.

drd1135 - Steve's photo - of a somewhat out-of-focus street of row-houses, reflected in a glass shop-window - with an ironic but thoughtful bumper sticker message (about everything being subject to change - but also everything is on a schedule!) is a great image - and also, for me at least, a great piece of social commentary.

chickenherby - A lovely, classic image of a reflection in a lake. The tones are beautiful, the composition is elegant, and the mirror effect is rather timeless. For me, too, this photograph has something of a painting - but a classical landscape, the kind one sees in certain sections of the Louvre. Nicely 'seen', Herbert!

ricks - The stylized and heavily processed (via Silkypix, PS CS5, Nik and Topaz) photograph is a testament to creative post-processing: the PP takes what I'm certain was, in its native form, already a good photograph...and turns it into a 'trip'! I really like it. A lot.

donlaw - Don, your photo of a giant insanely curved reflective sculpture - reflecting the world around it - including the small distorted reflection of the photographer himself! - is waaaay cool. It makes me wonder - if I had been there, trying to photograph this sculpture - or its visual effects - could I have come up with anything as intriguing as what you have done? Your photo is a classic interpretation of the theme - but it's also really just a great image.

serhan - The photograph of the hillside covered with trees - whose foliage is changing color in radical ways - reflected in the almost glass-like texture of the lake - is, simply, gorgeous. Among other things, it makes me (again) wish that someday I can travel to Norway.

akuiper - This black and white image - of the stately old row-houses - and the water which seems to frame them - and the myriad tiny leaves on the surface of the water - has a real elegance to it. The tree framing the whole thing is a nice touch, too. For me, this photo is a great cityscape-landscape - and your decision to process it as a monochrome image enhances its qualities.

theoldsmithy - Another truly classic photograph - of an old, weather-worn bridge, spanning the reflective river beneath - gives me a strong, strong sense of both time and place. I love the subtle naturalistic tones and colours, as well. And, I have to add the obvious: the Sigma DP2 which Martin took this photograph with... really renders beautifully.

Which brings me to my two finalists, each one a great image in its own right, and each one worthy both of accolades and repeated viewings.

pictogramax - Milan's remarkable photograph - of a solitary boat and boatman on a day so intensely mist-shrouded that the entire world has become a series of pale near-white tones - is, simply, an effing masterpiece. Milan's short text - mentioning that his image combines both physical and introspective aspects of reflection - sums up the picture better than I possibly could.

I really love it, Milan... Bravo!

jys860923 - The monochrome photograph of the chicken...confronting his or her image in a large mirror fragment - is incredibly powerful. It also speaks to the nature of what reflections are or can be. And though on some levels it is a simple composition - the notions of how human beings - and other animals too - are or are not aware of seeing ourselves reflected - catapaults the viewer into philsophical territory.

I kept coming back to this photo, again and again. And in my admittedly subjective way of seeing things, that makes it the 'winner' of this Challenge. My serious congratulations to 贾一川 -- and my thank to all the other fine photographers here, for broadening my horizons.

This has been a truly difficult Challenge to judge. The entries and images here are all great ones, in a variety of ways and for a multitude of reasons.

emerson - David. your monochrome photo - of the reflection of a silhouetted person standing amidst the reflections of the trees that surround them - has a mystical and almost magical quality to it. For an instant it reminded me, in a good way, of the X-Files. It's a great image.

ErichH - Erich-- your image of multicolored geometric reflections - running along the top of the exterior of a car's windshield - is really, really cool. Especially because of its contrasts with the almost monochromatic mundanity of the car's interior, in the bottom of the photo. This photo rivals some very cool modern abstract paintings.

rayvonn - The image of a patient, masked commuter - at a subway or train station - surrounded by a small sea of other commuters, masked and unmasked - and unaware of his own life-size reflected image, directly behind him - is a great Challenge entry. It's a seemingly simple photograph but one whose parts keep on adding up to an interesting and thoughtful whole. I really like it.

drd1135 - Steve's photo - of a somewhat out-of-focus street of row-houses, reflected in a glass shop-window - with an ironic but thoughtful bumper sticker message (about everything being subject to change - but also everything is on a schedule!) is a great image - and also, for me at least, a great piece of social commentary.

chickenherby - A lovely, classic image of a reflection in a lake. The tones are beautiful, the composition is elegant, and the mirror effect is rather timeless. For me, too, this photograph has something of a painting - but a classical landscape, the kind one sees in certain sections of the Louvre. Nicely 'seen', Herbert!

ricks - The stylized and heavily processed (via Silkypix, PS CS5, Nik and Topaz) photograph is a testament to creative post-processing: the PP takes what I'm certain was, in its native form, already a good photograph...and turns it into a 'trip'! I really like it. A lot.

donlaw - Don, your photo of a giant insanely curved reflective sculpture - reflecting the world around it - including the small distorted reflection of the photographer himself! - is waaaay cool. It makes me wonder - if I had been there, trying to photograph this sculpture - or its visual effects - could I have come up with anything as intriguing as what you have done? Your photo is a classic interpretation of the theme - but it's also really just a great image.

serhan - The photograph of the hillside covered with trees - whose foliage is changing color in radical ways - reflected in the almost glass-like texture of the lake - is, simply, gorgeous. Among other things, it makes me (again) wish that someday I can travel to Norway.

akuiper - This black and white image - of the stately old row-houses - and the water which seems to frame them - and the myriad tiny leaves on the surface of the water - has a real elegance to it. The tree framing the whole thing is a nice touch, too. For me, this photo is a great cityscape-landscape - and your decision to process it as a monochrome image enhances its qualities.

theoldsmithy - Another truly classic photograph - of an old, weather-worn bridge, spanning the reflective river beneath - gives me a strong, strong sense of both time and place. I love the subtle naturalistic tones and colours, as well. And, I have to add the obvious: the Sigma DP2 which Martin took this photograph with... really renders beautifully.

Which brings me to my two finalists, each one a great image in its own right, and each one worthy both of accolades and repeated viewings.

pictogramax - Milan's remarkable photograph - of a solitary boat and boatman on a day so intensely mist-shrouded that the entire world has become a series of pale near-white tones - is, simply, an effing masterpiece. Milan's short text - mentioning that his image combines both physical and introspective aspects of reflection - sums up the picture better than I possibly could.

I really love it, Milan... Bravo!

jys860923 - The monochrome photograph of the chicken...confronting his or her image in a large mirror fragment - is incredibly powerful. It also speaks to the nature of what reflections are or can be. And though on some levels it is a simple composition - the notions of how human beings - and other animals too - are or are not aware of seeing ourselves reflected - catapaults the viewer into philsophical territory.

I kept coming back to this photo, again and again. And in my admittedly subjective way of seeing things, that makes it the 'winner' of this Challenge. My serious congratulations to 贾一川 -- and my thank to all the other fine photographers here, for broadening my horizons.

So this is how it feels to win :D

Thank you Miguel and everyone for your contributions to the depth of such an infinitely inspiring theme, I feel lucky to have taken the shot and receive your recognition. My understanding of the theme was quite straightforward and you guys have shown me the creative ways, more than my words can say.

I will hopefully come up with a good-ish idea shortly to be our next challenge, again thank you and see you guys in the next one.

Back