Name
贾一川
Start Date
Aug 3, 2020
End Date
Aug 24, 2020
Start Date Aug 3, 2020
End Date Aug 24, 2020

The 36th Cameraderie Challenge theme is: dominant colours.

My apologies if the theme had been covered before, which I can't find.

As usual, this challenge will consider originality, technical merit, and artistic vision.

In my mind, the most commonly seen are what they use in advertisements, along with the catchy lines are the colours that their brand images occupy, often in the "less is more" way. While no doubt being a powerful tool in product design, dominant colours could be so many things that we can relate to, things that the bold use of, or even the absence of some colours can symbolise.

That said, don't let the above paragraph restrain your imaginations, the theme is totally up to personal interpretations; also as Kyle suggested in Challenge 34, a brief written explanation to go with the image is encouraged, and don't worry about imperfect English.

So go break the rules, other than the tried and trusted ones as follows:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per challenge, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Cameraderie Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own challenge.

Two doors in the village of Drewsteignton, on the edge of the Dartmoor National Park in Devon.
049B20CB-A9C5-4E3F-9626-B2FE2BBE54D7.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the gardens of southern Oregon, many vegetables and fruits are in season. In a few months, when fall comes, the colours will shift to the flaming reds, yellows and oranges of the changing fall leaves. But less visible, and less obvious, are the hues of the winter squashes, which only ripen in the cold weather.

I saw these winter squashes inside a box outside of a market, on a cold, gray October day. Most winter squashes, like pumpkins, come in the more solid earth tones....but these ones looked as though perhaps the gardener had sprinkled in a few drops of LSD with the fertilizer.

They also reminded me of a funny line by Dave Horowitz, an author of 'juvenile' books for very young readers:
“Omigosh—I'm a squash!”

Winter Squash.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the gardens of southern Oregon, many vegetables and fruits are in season. In a few months, when fall comes, the colours will shift to the flaming reds, yellows and oranges of the changing fall leaves. But less visible, and less obvious, are the hues of the winter squashes, which only ripen in the cold weather.

I saw these winter squashes inside a box outside of a market, on a cold, gray October day. Most winter squashes, like pumpkins, come in the more solid earth tones....but these ones looked as though perhaps the gardener had sprinkled in a few drops of LSD with the fertilizer.

They also reminded me of a funny line by Dave Horowitz, an author of 'juvenile' books for very young readers:
“Omigosh—I'm a squash!”

View attachment 231039
That is beautiful.

A big thank you to everyone participated, I'm ending this contest and selecting our winner to bring us to the next challenge. As a non-native speaker, it's not the easiest thing for me to express as precisely and in-depth, or even relatable my feelings about these images as I've read time and time again your thoughtfulness, however, like we have always seen there are some very interesting photos and the decision to pick one is a challenge itself. Below's my humble opinion and how I narrowed it down.

First, we have
Two doors in the village of Drewsteignton, on the edge of the Dartmoor National Park in Devon.View attachment 230980

Martin, your image reminds of vibrant and lively exotic villages I've only seen photos of, as much as it being common in other parts of the world I've always felt our surroundings dull, and colourful places like this makes me miss travelling more. I can see this image belong in a large set of images giving a far greater showcase of an interesting place, which would be beyond the scope of this challenge, the colour and clarity of your image will do it justice.

Moving on to
David, I imagine you've spent some good time there in the afternoon or very much at least you wish you had.:drinks: The pole, pool, and buildings in the distance all make a great complement to the subject here in terms of colour and context. I haven't been there but what I think could work better would be to back up a little and maybe selectively warming up the foreground and subject a bit.

Next,
I kind of miss the days when car interiors were crazy color on the inside

View attachment 231078

davect01, I love red too, and that car has seriously got styles. I think you could agree that there's unlimited potential photographing this beauty, I just wish you had a better chance with it, sometimes there's only so much we can do about it.

Next, we have

Ricks, people really seems to like this one, I'm not sure I understand it and know what to say about it, it would've been nice had you given a bit of hint.

Next,

Don, pleasing colours, though composition of this is a stunt quite difficult to pull, it will require some extent of control of, this light stripe I guess?

Next,
View attachment 231404
Bottle of nail polish​

ErichH, this looks like some kind of inverted colours, at this level of close-up shooting it mostly comes down to textures and in this case, surprisingly, some colour spots as well. In this photo the textures and colour spots don't bring enough clues to me, I'm not sure how I'd rate this image unfortunately.

Next,
On the ferry

View attachment 231760
Nikkor-HC 50mm

Solid colours, contrasting colours, water drops, I see opportunities to make nice abstract artworks.

Next,
Robert, nice colours and great observation. You can certainly make it better with focusing and composition adjustments and removing the distractions, but it's looking nice already.

Next,
All I did was up the clarity a bit. If only the window had been cleaner.
View attachment 231907

Steve, this looks like a moment you want to always remember and be able to feel, it's not a technically perfect photo, nor am I looking for one, but I'm seeing a perfectly captured moment that possesses a sentimental value that can't be judged, hopefully I'm getting that right as I've also got that moment I want to remember. Nice colours.

Next, we have

“Omigosh—I'm a squash!”

View attachment 231039

Miguel, I'm choosing you as the runner-up, your image is so simple yet very pleasing, looking casual but at the same time carefully arranged, I never paid attention to how beautiful squashes can be and now I can't unseen it, these colours work amazingly well together.

And finally, I'm selecting
I saw a bunch of Joss-sticks my wife bought lately, some were upside-down. I took a snap of it

View attachment 231064
Michael as the winner of this contest. I've had many thoughts about this image, it's nice that you included some background so that we can understand, but this one could as well, I imagine, be left unexplained and interpreted to each their own. It's possible that we have seen similar concepts, but precisely this execution is what made it work, the colour, contrast, interspace, texture, even the imperfections like the field curvature caused by the use of a close-up filter or extension tube I guess, gave this image its unique deep and pleasing look. It can be difficult to give a fair and precise evaluation to a piece of abstract work, but yours is the one I choose, and I'll look forward to reading your reviews on our next friendly contest. Congratulations!

And finally, I'm selecting

Michael as the winner of this contest. I've had many thoughts about this image, it's nice that you included some background so that we can understand, but this one could as well, I imagine, be left unexplained and interpreted to each their own. It's possible that we have seen similar concepts, but precisely this execution is what made it work, the colour, contrast, interspace, texture, even the imperfections like the field curvature caused by the use of a close-up filter or extension tube I guess, gave this image its unique deep and pleasing look. It can be difficult to give a fair and precise evaluation to a piece of abstract work, but yours is the one I choose, and I'll look forward to reading your reviews on our next friendly contest. Congratulations!

I would like to pass this one cos firsdly I would like to get more familiar with his challenges., secondly I hav eto figur eit out hoew I can improve the loading of the images and thirdly with all respect to the competitors I am not ready to do a review.

I would like to pass this one cos firsdly I would like to get more familiar with his challenges., secondly I hav eto figur eit out hoew I can improve the loading of the images and thirdly with all respect to the competitors I am not ready to do a review.
That's fine Mike, if you wanted to pass this one we can ask if @MiguelATF is available to be our next host.

First, my congratulations to Michael, aka @Thai-Mike, for fine photograph - and one I kept coming back to look at. Also congrats because, honestly, there were so many great images in this challenge, that to be named the winner is really something. And also thanks to @jyc860923 for a great theme and thoughtful judging. All around a great challenge - and some really remarkable entries here.

If @Thai-Mike really doesn't wish to take on the reins of the next challenge right now, I'm willing to do it.

Back