Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
Start Date
Aug 27, 2021
End Date
Sep 24, 2021
Welcome to Cameraderie Challenge #50!
I was both honored and humbled to have be selected as the winner for challenge #49. Thanks to all who entered and as I feel they were all very strong entries and it could have been anyone's challenge!

Challenge: "Scene Within A Scene"

Description: Have you ever looked at the subject you intended to get and then on the periphery you see a whole other subject?

Scene within a scene has multiple subjects within the same scene. One of my favorite images I’ve ever taken was a street scene where 2 girls were standing in the doorway of a coffee shop in the winter, helping each other get their scarfs. Just to their right, in the window of the coffee shop, you can see 2 people working on their laptops.

Finding more than one subject within a scene is something I love to try and capture whenever I’m out shooting street
Not the easiest image to capture, but can be highly challenging and fun.

Below is the example image from my description above.
8526205001_f9e87b6fdf_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Submission Dates: August 27, 2021 - September 24, 2021

Guidelines: Please note the addition of item #6.
  1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.
  2. Only one entry per challenge, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.
  3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!
  4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Cameraderie Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - the opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.
  5. The curator cannot enter in his or her own challenge.
  6. If the challenge winner has not been able to start the next challenge within two weeks of being being chosen then the curator has the choice of either (a) starting the next challenge with a new theme or (b) having the mods' team start the next challenge. If, after three weeks, a new challenge has not been started then the mods' team can start a new challenge.

Have fun! Think outside of the box, there is no right or wrong answers to the challenge, use it as a bit of playful inspiration.

I took this in the Metrobus (sort of an above-ground Subway) in Mexico City.
My original subject, or so I thought, was the group of chatting women, in the center and to the left in my frame.
It was a bright, sunny day, and inside the Metrobus, parts were well lit and parts were in much deeper shadow. I was really focusing on the lighted area, where the women were sitting, and basically ignoring the shadowy areas.
But then, looking at the photograph again, I realized it had more than one 'subject'.

Charlando.jpg

This was last May during a peaceful protest march. I was in my car and took this photo of the group crossing the street. I didn’t realize at the time that my side mirror was in the frame showing the traffic back up or the police talking together in the background.
44C88C67-1BA8-499B-A40B-85E5D7B27087.jpeg

Last edited:
Few years back we spent endless hours at cafes and restaurants waiting our small daughters from their dance lessons. They ended up quite talented, the older winning trophies with the company and some of the friends taking professional careers.
However this picture is a random picture, practising taking shots from the hip, or actually in this case from the table level. This picture then have grown on me, telling three different stories plus pictures on the wall.

8B02AA9C-AFDD-4D13-98BB-E17CE3A42553.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello all.

I spent a few days looking over the images that were entered. I didn't want to miss a thing. I also appreciate the descriptions everyone brought to the table. Gave an interesting insight into the process. Thank you all that participated in this theme. It was not an easy one!

MiguelATF - I immediately saw both the scenes in this image. The first one that caught me was image left of the 2 women talking and the gentleman in the middle. Then my eye wondered to the right and saw the lady hugging the man. Then at the last I saw the face in the bottom left corner...so technically I would say there are 3 distinct scene here. Love the processing as well.

DonLaw - I'm a big fan of reportage and photojournalism. Always lend themselves to those potentials of having more than one scene in the image. The main scene is loud and clear with the Palestine scarf in the frame, then looking to frame right we see the mirror and the affect of the march to traffic. Nicely processed monochrome as well!

Matero - The multiple levels here are really nice. I especially like the out of focus foreground element. Lots to think about here...like who is the lady in the foreground with? If anyone and my mine wonders to their conversation. Then you have to 2 people behind her...and my mind goes to thinking about if they are together, is she talking to him? Is he blocking the view of the people between them? Layers upon layers. Nicely processed in monochrome as well!

I wish I could say everyone is the top as I like a lot about all the images. However, that may cause issues with Challenge #51!

So, after much internal deliberation, I have to go with MiguelATF and his train image. The grittines of the everyday expressed in multiple ways, the lighting all just push it over the edge for me to the #1 spot.

Winner of Challenge #50 - MiguelATF - Congratulations! :)

Andrew, I am honored beyond words and also must literally echo your comment; though there were not many entries, I agree that literally all of them were (and are!) worthy of being awarded the winning honors. And to take it a step further, even though the curator is not allowed to enter his or her - or their! - own challenge, the photograph which you posted, as an example of a Scene-Within-a-Scene - may actually be the one I would have voted for, if I had been allowed to vote. Don's and Matero's images are quite amazing to me, as well. And as a curious side observation, has anyone noticed that ALL the photos in this challenge - both your example, Andrew - and all the entries - are monochromatic/black-and-white images? (Interesting......as Sigmund Freud might have said!)

I have a notion for next challenge which I am trying to work out, but hope to get it posted soon - so everyone will have at least a week to either cogitate upon it - or maybe (hopefully!) even get started on shooting it (though, as always, there will be the option of using an existing image from your own personal photographic archives), before the Single-in-October photo challenge begins as well.

Thanks again, Andrew (aka @gryphon1911). What a great concept you gave us.

And as a curious side observation, has anyone noticed that ALL the photos in this challenge - both your example, Andrew - and all the entries - are monochromatic/black-and-white images? (Interesting......as Sigmund Freud might have said!)

Very interesting indeed. I continued to think about this observation of b&w images and actually realised that many times when my pictures are telling a story I prefer b&w over colour. I know that this partly comes from the early b&w days of my photography, as for many others who started with film and processed their pictures by themselves. But there has to be something else also, concentration to subject/pure light without interfering with colours.

And when taking and keeping colours, one focuses on visual effects and impression more than the story. Thanks to mirrorless we can have both worlds on single device all the time and switch back and forth. I actually realised that this feature is the most tempting, and pulling me back from Df and 5D IV towards mirrorless 🤔 Leica SL, here we come 😂

Thanks for @gryphon1911 of this very, very interesting challenge and for all of your pictures!

Back