Challenge! Cameraderie Challenge #52 - "Consumerism" WINNER ANNOUNCED

JensM

All-Pro
Start Date November 01 2021
Start Date November 30 2021

"Consumerism":

As I won the last monthly challenge, (which is a first for me, in any sort of photographic event), I needed a bit of time to find something which could be somewhat of a general topic for the world wide audience, I was thinking about putting out my own project, which is "Available Artificial Light", but as we are entering into the Christmas season somewhat, it struck me that why not go for "consumerism" instead. It could be an interesting one, at this time in history.

It can be a broad topic, so I thought the definition from Merriam-Webster could do the trick:

consumerism​

con·sum·er·ism | \ kən-ˈsü-mə-ˌri-zəm , -mər-ˌi- \

Definition of consumerism

1: the theory that an increasing consumption of goods is economically desirable
also : a preoccupation with and an inclination toward the buying of consumer goods.
"the contemporary marketplace is shaped solely by the craven needs of lowbrow consumerism …" - Thomas Byrne Edsall
2: the promotion of the consumer's interests" -Definition of CONSUMERISM

Not that it is less broad, but it is somewhat neutrally defined.

As usual, this Challenge will consider originality, technical merit and artistic vision.

No change to the tried and trusted rules, which are as follows:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per challenge, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Cameraderie Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - the opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter in his or her or their own challenge.

Hope you enjoy the challenge and I am looking forward to seeing the contributions.

Last edited:
This is a really challenging Challenge for me, Jens. I've struggled to come up with the right photo which, for me, somehow illustrates the fascinating and disturbing concepts of Consumerism. What I came up with is the notion of a society which mass-produces and overproduces everything. Supposedly trying to offer all of us more of everything, more choices, more products, more, more more...until we get trapped in the excess.

I've felt that way on occasion.

In the immense supermarket-slash-department-store where I took this picture, it seemed like there wasn't enough room for the huge stuffed toy animals "On Sale" - forcing them to spill out across the racks of clothing. I felt like their plastic eyes were reproaching the human shoppers, including myself... for letting it all happen.

X30_Sept28_Supermarket_Stuffed_animal(SilverEfex).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well, then, I think it is time to announce the winner on this monthly challenge, and it is @MiguelATF, it is a proper representation of the topic and the only entry, not to detract from the picture, which holds some "sinister" qualities.

Congratulations on the win!

With that out of the way, I would very much appreciate some sort of discussion on the topic of the challenge based on the lack of entries, I thought it would be an interesting subject, and somewhat broad, with the possibility of some reportage, and/or add styles of photography.

I have never put up a challenge before, so am keen to dig into the hive-mind as to how it went side-ways. :unsure:

From my part nothing wrong with the challenge or topic. Just too busy with the work. 😩

I took several occasions to browse my archives and put something in, didn't find anything. I hadn't worked with the topic and had not time to make something ouf of it just now.

But this can happen and no need to over-analyze, IMO. Maybe it's also a sign that bar has put quite high by the talented and skilled colleague photographers 🤔

I didn’t see it until you posted the reminder on Saturday.

I liked the topic and it is apt for the time of year/impact on climate crisis, etc so it would have been an interesting one to do.

Unfortunately finding any time for photography over the last few months has been difficult for me due to my current home/family/work commitments.

There is always a risk with this challenge. Entering this challenge means there is a potential to win the challenge, and to win means hosting the next one. Personally I don’t like to host the challenges, although sometimes I do like to win! I’m human! If I didn’t have to think about hosting a challenge, I’d probably participate more regularly.

Well done Miguel for your entry.

Thank you for your kind words and for what I consider an honor - your selection, Jens - in spite of the relative lack of entries. I am a fan both of your work and the way you see the world and your views of photography - so it is a special feeling for me to get your appreciation.

I have to echo Karen's (briar's) comments about partially dreading having to host a challenge - given my own commitments of work, writing, family, etc. - but at the same time, coming up with a worthy Challenge is also a challenge in and of itself. I hope to come up with a worthy one within the next few days - and my real thanks again to you, Jens, for coming up with both a thoughtful - and difficult - subject for this Challenge.

@JensM - I know the challenge ended, but here's my (late) contribution 😄

We re-cycled some unnecessary stuff in perfect condition to Red Cross charity flee-market. It's located in a wealthy area nearby and the stuff on sale there is usually in good shape. I've bought one outdoor jacket for myself from there, never been used before me, factory stickers in place. And today my wife sourced 6-set design glass tableware, 5€ per desert bowl in original package, which are selling in other places 25-40€ per bowl, and price going up because of famous designer (Timo Sarpaneva) and brand (Iittala).

The picture itself is from the kids section, racks after another, perfectly good clothes, shoes, toys etc. Remarkable was the people shopping there, I didn't want to include them in the picture, though. Totally normal, well-off people who are fed up of consumerism and waste.

Sorry I couldn't make a find in time 😉

Consumerism.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was actually out in the last few days just because there was confusion with the restrictions in place, as we had sort of just gone out of lockdown that time, but somehow, didn't get the shot I wanted. I truly like the theme because it's very relevant today.

I had two repertoires in mind. One does not include people and one does. When I couldn't get the peopleless shot, I did a minor photowalk during Black Friday but, unsurprisingly, there weren't that much people around for me to do the one with people in it. I have some outtakes but they aren't what I truly want to present.

Anyway, hopefully, we see the theme/challenge again.

EDIT: Congrats, @MiguelATF!

What is this month's theme please?
Is Consumerism going to continue?

There you go, Walter. :drinks:

Back