Challenge! Winner - Cameraderie Challenge #54: "The Relationship between People and Things"

It was a good theme. Tricky but still available all around us, which lead to a nice set of images.
Steve, while I planned to write up my responses and choice on the 11th, life got in the way :( .

Today was our annual local car show, and I've badly over-stretched myself. Still recovering. Very hot here today, and between back pain and possibly dehydration, my heart is misbehaving badly.

So judgement day will have to be tomorrow.

Well, here I am, six days late, sort of back on deck after well and truly overdoing things going to the car show last Sunday. Once a year event (first time in two years, due to Covid-19). I took about 200 photos. Most pretty decent.

Just waiting for my Cardiologist's receptionist to get off the phone so that I can talk to her ... My heart still hasn't really settled down since then 😒. Currently waiting for instructions on how to do a manual dump of my pacemaker to said Cardiologist.

Anyway, I can't print the thread. Bugger! I can't print some of the individual images. Bugger. So I will have to fly by the seat of my pants, with a couple of tabs open and switch from one to the other.

@MiguelATF Lovely photo, Miguel. Fits the topic well. Like many of these things, the mundane, technical things are a mystery to many of us! B&W suits your subject well. A very worthy entry. Communicates the subject well. Lacking a bit technically, with a very contrasty subject.

@pdk42 An interesting take, Paul. Fits the topic on many levels. Person to electronic guide. Person to art work. Many relationships going on in your photograph. Again, communicates the subject topic well.

@kae1 Ken, this photo nearly got the flick, but I can see that the stoker (?) is in between shovels full, and is probably contemplating what hot and horrible work this really is. That is, truly a rrelationship between the human and the machine. I always think that steam engines are the nearest thing that humans have invented that really resemble living breathing mechanical creatures. The colours, composition and contrast are excellent.

@pictogramax I really like your first attempt. It's a lovely shot. Sorry that it didn't really fit the topic, but nice to see anyway, specially with your further explanation. Also nice to see that you have entered an alternate shot.

@drd1135 An interesting take, Steve, with the photographer both using the object, but also relating to the objects on display. Technically difficult to take (glass is almost always unforgiving, specially when dirty), and could have had a bit more depth of field. Could have been better focused. An interesting take, nonetheless.

@donlaw This photo works for me on so many levels, Don. Love the expressions of the young woman in the middle distance, and the expression on the man in the background. The intensity of the thee main people is palpable, as is their relationship to the surgery model. Your image conjures up further things that are not in the shot at all, but are 'there' notwithstanding. A good interpretation.

@emerson Another interesting museum and art gallery shot, David. I must say, these didn't occur to me, so it's nice to see others have the same interest in these that I have. Some form of boat was probably one of humanities' first discrete objects, after the basics of shelter and food growing and preparation implements. An interesting viewpoint and angle.

@serhan This really is an engaging shot. I really like the generational aspect of it. There is very little that is more fundamental to our well being than shelter. This alludes to the problems that are faced by the homeless, even in countries as rich as Australia, at least to me.

@pictogramax A worthy substitute. The interaction between the people and their smartphones, while ignoring the far more intriguing objects displayed around them. Not an untypical scene, played out every second, all over the world. Ignore reality - the virtual and imaginary world is more engaging for some (many?). The colour and balance of this photo is engaging. Well done.

@Matero This is an interesting interpretation and entry. Why do we have this fascination with models? I know I have it. The absolutely amazing amount of work that has gone into this, then the "giant" caretaker moving among the objects.

@pdurand Pierre, you are so very right. We can go for a fairly long time without meaningful food, but water? Not on your Nellie. Sad that about half the world's population has not got access even to clean drinking water, let alone adequate supplies of water. So the relationship between the villagers and the village pump is really getting to the basics too. An interesting and well composed image that speaks right to the heart of the topic of this challenge.

@WRay Lovely photo, Ray. Right on topic. The only criticism I can make is that the depth of field is a bit too shallow, with neither the lad nor the guitar in sharp focus. Lovely to see a young person taking this kind of interest in their craft. Perhaps not so rare as us old farts think it is, but lovely to see nonetheless.

@bartjeej Again, Bart, right on topic. Nice concept. I spent about 4-5 months last year and the previous year using a four wheel walker because of my back problem. Thankfully, I no longer have to use it just to go to the ensuite toilet in the night. Perhaps I should have used it at the car show last Sunday ... They are a brilliant invention! While I look about 50-60, I'm actually around 75 y.o. next birthday, and feel about 100 on many days. I think that I would rather look 100, and feel about 50 ... It is a real shame that your photo is technically lacking, or you just might have won this challenge! In spite of that criticism, I really identify with your subject, altough personally I have never been worried about how old people might think I am.

Now for the hard part. All the images have things that recommend them. I'm really sorry that I could not manage to print them all, because that would make it easier to compare.
If I stuff this up, that's my excuse ...

However, I have really enjoyed all the entries, so thanks to everyone who entered, and endured my delays due to my health problems. I have gone through all the images again this morning, after a crappy night's sleep. I remind everyone that the primary judging criteria are " ... this Challenge will consider originality, technical merit and artistic vision.". All showed originality and artistic vision, but a number were let down by "technical merit". Concentrate more when you press the button, folks, as most photo opportunities never occur again!

Now, Highly commended has to go to two entries, Ken's (@kae1) and @serhan . In spite of the technical imperfections, honourable mentions go to both @WRay and @bartjeej.

The winner of the (poisoned chalice) award is Pierre (@pdurand ) for his water fetching photo, which shows both an item in use by a person, but also the relationship between the person and the product of the pump, life giving water.

I found it very difficult to come to these conclusions. Every photo showed an imaginative and interesting response to the challenge topic, especially Miguel's mulcher repair man shot. Again, technical issues detracted from the image a bit, but still excellent.

I've never done this before, so please be forgiving if I've missed something in your particular photo.

In my own photographic journey, the technical side has always been easy for me. Composition of form and colour, including artistic vision, has always been terribly difficult. I feel that I have improved by studiously concentrating on my own weak points, so this should be possible for us all. The hardest thing in the world is to be objective about my own photos, and I expect you all find this difficult to one degree or another.

Thanks again for your good wishes along the way, and putting up with the delays caused by my health issues.

Over to you, Pierre.

Well, here I am, six days late, sort of back on deck after well and truly overdoing things going to the car show last Sunday. Once a year event (first time in two years, due to Covid-19). I took about 200 photos. Most pretty decent.

Just waiting for my Cardiologist's receptionist to get off the phone so that I can talk to her ... My heart still hasn't really settled down since then 😒. Currently waiting for instructions on how to do a manual dump of my pacemaker to said Cardiologist.

Anyway, I can't print the thread. Bugger! I can't print some of the individual images. Bugger. So I will have to fly by the seat of my pants, with a couple of tabs open and switch from one to the other.

@MiguelATF Lovely photo, Miguel. Fits the topic well. Like many of these things, the mundane, technical things are a mystery to many of us! B&W suits your subject well. A very worthy entry. Communicates the subject well. Lacking a bit technically, with a very contrasty subject.

@pdk42 An interesting take, Paul. Fits the topic on many levels. Person to electronic guide. Person to art work. Many relationships going on in your photograph. Again, communicates the subject topic well.

@kae1 Ken, this photo nearly got the flick, but I can see that the stoker (?) is in between shovels full, and is probably contemplating what hot and horrible work this really is. That is, truly a rrelationship between the human and the machine. I always think that steam engines are the nearest thing that humans have invented that really resemble living breathing mechanical creatures. The colours, composition and contrast are excellent.

@pictogramax I really like your first attempt. It's a lovely shot. Sorry that it didn't really fit the topic, but nice to see anyway, specially with your further explanation. Also nice to see that you have entered an alternate shot.

@drd1135 An interesting take, Steve, with the photographer both using the object, but also relating to the objects on display. Technically difficult to take (glass is almost always unforgiving, specially when dirty), and could have had a bit more depth of field. Could have been better focused. An interesting take, nonetheless.

@donlaw This photo works for me on so many levels, Don. Love the expressions of the young woman in the middle distance, and the expression on the man in the background. The intensity of the thee main people is palpable, as is their relationship to the surgery model. Your image conjures up further things that are not in the shot at all, but are 'there' notwithstanding. A good interpretation.

@emerson Another interesting museum and art gallery shot, David. I must say, these didn't occur to me, so it's nice to see others have the same interest in these that I have. Some form of boat was probably one of humanities' first discrete objects, after the basics of shelter and food growing and preparation implements. An interesting viewpoint and angle.

@serhan This really is an engaging shot. I really like the generational aspect of it. There is very little that is more fundamental to our well being than shelter. This alludes to the problems that are faced by the homeless, even in countries as rich as Australia, at least to me.

@pictogramax A worthy substitute. The interaction between the people and their smartphones, while ignoring the far more intriguing objects displayed around them. Not an untypical scene, played out every second, all over the world. Ignore reality - the virtual and imaginary world is more engaging for some (many?). The colour and balance of this photo is engaging. Well done.

@Matero This is an interesting interpretation and entry. Why do we have this fascination with models? I know I have it. The absolutely amazing amount of work that has gone into this, then the "giant" caretaker moving among the objects.

@pdurand Pierre, you are so very right. We can go for a fairly long time without meaningful food, but water? Not on your Nellie. Sad that about half the world's population has not got access even to clean drinking water, let alone adequate supplies of water. So the relationship between the villagers and the village pump is really getting to the basics too. An interesting and well composed image that speaks right to the heart of the topic of this challenge.

@WRay Lovely photo, Ray. Right on topic. The only criticism I can make is that the depth of field is a bit too shallow, with neither the lad nor the guitar in sharp focus. Lovely to see a young person taking this kind of interest in their craft. Perhaps not so rare as us old farts think it is, but lovely to see nonetheless.

@bartjeej Again, Bart, right on topic. Nice concept. I spent about 4-5 months last year and the previous year using a four wheel walker because of my back problem. Thankfully, I no longer have to use it just to go to the ensuite toilet in the night. Perhaps I should have used it at the car show last Sunday ... They are a brilliant invention! While I look about 50-60, I'm actually around 75 y.o. next birthday, and feel about 100 on many days. I think that I would rather look 100, and feel about 50 ... It is a real shame that your photo is technically lacking, or you just might have won this challenge! In spite of that criticism, I really identify with your subject, altough personally I have never been worried about how old people might think I am.

Now for the hard part. All the images have things that recommend them. I'm really sorry that I could not manage to print them all, because that would make it easier to compare.
If I stuff this up, that's my excuse ...

However, I have really enjoyed all the entries, so thanks to everyone who entered, and endured my delays due to my health problems. I have gone through all the images again this morning, after a crappy night's sleep. I remind everyone that the primary judging criteria are " ... this Challenge will consider originality, technical merit and artistic vision.". All showed originality and artistic vision, but a number were let down by "technical merit". Concentrate more when you press the button, folks, as most photo opportunities never occur again!

Now, Highly commended has to go to two entries, Ken's (@kae1) and @serhan . In spite of the technical imperfections, honourable mentions go to both @WRay and @bartjeej.

The winner of the (poisoned chalice) award is Pierre (@pdurand ) for his water fetching photo, which shows both an item in use by a person, but also the relationship between the person and the product of the pump, life giving water.

I found it very difficult to come to these conclusions. Every photo showed an imaginative and interesting response to the challenge topic, especially Miguel's mulcher repair man shot. Again, technical issues detracted from the image a bit, but still excellent.

I've never done this before, so please be forgiving if I've missed something in your particular photo.

In my own photographic journey, the technical side has always been easy for me. Composition of form and colour, including artistic vision, has always been terribly difficult. I feel that I have improved by studiously concentrating on my own weak points, so this should be possible for us all. The hardest thing in the world is to be objective about my own photos, and I expect you all find this difficult to one degree or another.

Thanks again for your good wishes along the way, and putting up with the delays caused by my health issues.

Over to you, Pierre.
Thanks for a good theme and your thoughtful analysis. I predicted your choice by giving Pierre a trophy. 🤓. That photo captured a certain intimacy between a human and an object with a handmade yet highly effective modification.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Just an update. After uploading my pacemaker, my cardiologist wants to see me tomorrow. I suspect that I know where I will be on Monday. I hope not ...

Sending you long-distance wishes for both good results, good health, and patience, John. These things are out of a person's control, but hopefully good karma and good wishes will help out in the overall balance.

Thanks everyone.

Just an update. After uploading my pacemaker, my cardiologist wants to see me tomorrow. I suspect that I know where I will be on Monday. I hope not ...
It seems that my heart was giving an abnormal atrial signal. The pacemaker was reacting to it too quickly, triggering atrial tachycardia.

The tech has adjusted my pacemaker to be slightly less sensitive, set my bedside monitor to send an alert when these sorts of events occur (i.e. to be more aggressive in its exception reporting), and raised an issue with St Jude Medical regarding the bedside monitor giving a positive notification that it has uploaded the daily data, and as to its default programming.

ATM, the monitor gives no indication as to whether it has successfully uploaded overnight, or not. IMO this is poor system design, and said so to both the technician and my (very senior) cardiologist, in no uncertain terms.

These are life and death devices. Their operation should be fail safe at every level.

No further ablation proposed in the immediate future, but review in six weeks, if no further obvious episodes in the mean time.

Well done to the winners. A great choice of subject. Thanks to John for battling on with the challenge in the face of serious health issues. Best wishes to you. I hope the software update to your Pacemaker goes fine!
Thanks, Paul.

Having it adjusted is a bit like surgery, but without the surgical procedure. It seems to be settling down after 24 hours. See how it goes over the next 3-5 days.

Back