Challenge! Cameraderie Challenge #59 - Have a seat! - WINNER ANNOUNCED!

OK, it's time to wrap this one up. Thank you all for your fine entries and now let's see how it went.

@Jakob Malm started the show with not one, but two expressive poses and a great BW conversion, beautiful tones in his image. Having spent a lot of time at the airports, I immediately related to depicted situation; I'm kind of a bit sad for the gentleman's hand cut at the wrist, but a single shoe on the floor is a great detail.

@MiguelATF Another BW entry, this one grittier, but only in graphic style - the socks and the affectionate hand guarding the kid just add to the contrast of rendering. Also, I believe that such a tight crop let's us relate even more; without the actual faces, depicted persons become symbols that anyone can relate to.

@Irene McC proved that anything can be a chair and this nice architectural detail even seems quite comfortable. Love the smooth pastel tones in this one.

@Charzes44 After a few of "singled-out" situations we now pass to a full frontal assault of sitters, filling the chairs as well as the whole frame :) Lots to look at, but I kind of kept looking for a emotional focal point.

@pdurand Probably the most would agree that this was the most pitoresque subject. Also those deep and rich colors are gorgeous, but the composition, or better yet, the angle chosen kept feeling a bit confusing for me. I'm guessing that the overall crowd, and/or the brief moment you had to capture it, influenced the position and thus the overlapping of many elements.

@donlaw Another take on a group shot with a very interesting spiral composition. Also I like the relations between sitting, standing and laying participants that give this image an intriguing feel. I don't know if this was some kind of performance, lecture or just an usual waiting line in your part of the world, but I do like the enigma and lines that convey it.

@emerson Another gritty conversion, a bold take appropriate for that harsh light, even the tilt adds to the attitude. I can easily imagine it as a promo shot for a bar or fashion store.

@albertk I was wondering a bit about this one a bit, as it is a rendering of a depiction of siting ratter that an actual sitting, but then, why not? It surely has it's charm and it's message.

@Peano chose not to compete, but I'm glad this image, and the expression of that young lady made it to this challenge, even as an onlooker. These challenges are not really competitive, more about the friendly exchange, and I hope you will come back to another rounds.

@Hendrik also stumbled upon a colorful subject; I'm quite sure this was a lovely moment for these ladies.

@Briar Another strong BW conversion and even stronger expressions. Love the dynamics between these two boys.

@ricks The last shot comes as the antithesis to Karen's image; strong saturated colors oppose the monochrome tones, but more importantly, the overpowering screens take over the human exchange.

Well, as always, it was so nice to witness all the various interpretations. That is, for me, the most fun part of our challenges. And as you can imagine, choosing among them wasn't easy. Jakob and Irene were probably the closest to my initial examples; on the other hand, Don's spiral composition was among the most intriguing images for me but, even though it surely includes sitters, I felt it somewhat surpassed the theme - it felt more about the human behavior in general that singing the praise to sitting.

In the end, my decision, subjective to the bone of course, is to declare Briar's image the winner. The composition, the situation, the props and above all the human interaction depicted is what won me in the end.

Congratulations, Karen, it's now up to you to take the torch!

Thanks so much for this excellent challenge. I agree that the variety of interpretations is really fun to see and this challenge elicited that well. Congrats Karen! Excellent image.
By the way, my image was taken at a James
Turrell installation at the Guggenheim NYC. Amazing light play in a Frank Lloyd Wright atrium.

Thank you @pictogramax for this very interesting challenge and congratulations to @Briar for this beautiful image, a true winner.

And @pictogramax, I understand your confusion: we felt the same way there; so many strange things were going on around us... It reminds me how crowded it was in Varanasi on those holy days. No matter what angle of view you chose, the result was always the same: people and actions going everywhere! My image simply reflects what was happening there. And you're right, I had no other possible point of view without having someone between him and me that standing myself at one end of the table.

Thank you Milan, what a great challenge. I did think the cheeks had it so it’s a nice surprise to win. Great to see so many entries too.

As for the next challenge, sadly, I’m not in the best place to host it just now as a very close family member is in hospital receiving end of life care. If someone else can volunteer to host the next challenge on my behalf, I would be really grateful.

Thank you Milan, what a great challenge. I did think the cheeks had it so it’s a nice surprise to win. Great to see so many entries too.

As for the next challenge, sadly, I’m not in the best place to host it just now as a very close family member is in hospital receiving end of life care. If someone else can volunteer to host the next challenge on my behalf, I would be really grateful.
So sorry Karen. Been through that and no words can express the grieve. My positive thoughts go out to you and your loved ones.
Perhap Milan could choose a runner up in the challenge.

@Briar I'm sorry to hear about your situation, Karen, and of course it takes priority. I would have loved to see what you might have chosen for the next round, but we can only respect and accept your decision.

@Irene McC , would you be so kind, if interested, to host the next challenge, please?
@Briar : I am truly sorry to hear of what you're going through and wish you strength

Ummmmm, who, me? I'll go back to the first post and read the premise and give it a good think and hopefully come up with something; thank you for passing on the honour to me!

Back