Challenge! Cameraderie Challenge #64 - Hands - Closed

Well, attendance was not great, but most of the cool kids showed up, anyway. Please excuse my attempts at titles...

@Irene McC: Together, At Last - The well manicured hands of the bride and groom on their wedding day –– Promises made. Side by side they face the future. We use hands to make connections with others in all sorts of ways.

@MiguelATF: Muddy Hands, Seen Clearly - At first glance it could be read as being about the mud but, if you think about it, it deals with the major part hands play in satisfying our curiosity. Idle hands, and all that.

@ricks: Concern - The hands are center stage and do most of the heavy lifting but there’s a lot of context teasing the viewer. The use of (presumably) a paint filter, the seemingly stretched perspective and the low point of view help to compound the mystery and give the image a cinematic, dynamic edginess.

@Simonix: Infant’s Grasp - No parent can ever forget the flood of tenderness released when grasped by an infant thus. Ah, memories!

@donlaw: Hands - A visual pun on two meanings of hand - the appendage vs. the “hand” to which two are typically appended. All hands on deck, many hands make light work.

@Herbert Hound: Dislocated - you feel the pain, we cringe in sympathy. Never doubt the capacity of inanimate objects to hate. It’s pretty certain that most of us will at some time of our lives be forced to go without the full use of one of our hands for (hopefully) short periods.

@pictogramax: Running Out - monochrome portrait possibly not of tenacity –– I WILL get it all! –– but of languor. What preoccupation keeps him from taking a drag? My father’s cigarettes would develop equally long ashes but untended, in the ash tray, while he worked. Or is this an idiosyncratic skill? Running out - with all deliberate speed.

@HenryBH: 54th Anniversary - They’re facing each other, perhaps wondering together at the passage of time, “Look what we did!” The years have taken their toll but –– Promises kept. A fitting bookend to @Irene McC’s entry.

I loved them all but the one that I kept seeing in my mind's eye, away from the monitor, was ricks' Concerned. I invite @ricks to run the next challenge. If this is not possible then my second most favored is @pictogramax's Running Out.

Last edited:
Blast, I noted the challenge when it was put up, found it interesting and then swiftly forgot about the whole thing.

High quality on the work entered, all around. Congrats to ricks.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Hendrik for the challenge, and the unexpected honor of winning. The day after i posted I was hit on my bike by fleeing felons eluding traffic and pursuing police by using the bike lane. I was side swiped at 70mph and ended up with a broken femur. I am getting better, but don't feel up to running the next challenge. I would greatly appreciate if pictogramax is able to take on the responsibility. Thanks.

Thank you so much Hendrik for the challenge, and the unexpected honor of winning. The day after i posted I was hit on my bike by fleeing felons eluding traffic and pursuing police by using the bike lane. I was side swiped at 70mph and ended up with a broken femur. I am getting better, but don't feel up to running the next challenge. I would greatly appreciate if pictogramax is able to take on the responsibility. Thanks.
Congratulations on your winning entry @ricks and gosh, what an awful thing to happen. I do hope you will recover quickly

Dreadful! Get better & be well!!

Amazing entries, one and all...! And a thoughtful and illuminating judging and commentary by Hendrik...thank you for your words, and for a compelling Challenge subject! @ricks, my kudos and congratulations to you on a worthy - and rather marvelous - photo (and photographic interpretation)! And my sympathies for what happened, along with my wishes for a speedy and trouble-free recovery! And congrats to @pictogramax for a seriously marvelous photograph as well.

So sorry to hear that. Sounds like you were lucky not to be hurt even more. I had a cycling accident this year too. Resulting in a broken clavicle! Hope you have a quick recovery!

Last edited:
@pictogramax looks like you are up since @ricks is on the mend.

@ricks
Hope that you are well on the way to full recovery by now.
As you can see, @pictogramax has not picked up the challenge. And by checking his profile, he was last visiting this site at the end of December. Since we are finishing up the Single in Feb. challenge today, it would be great timing to see these challenges start back up. Would feel up to starting a challenge? If not we might appeal to one of the admins to pick person to carry on.

I'm with Don, would be great to kick-start this one off again. It's one of the more inspirational challenges. Though maybe allow 2 entries to get a bit more activity happening? Maybe one of the previous entrants can take over - ie first taker?

I think it's an excellent idea, but I do have my reservations about the fact why everything on this forum has to do with calling a 'winner' while, IMHO, very few members are interested in such competitions. Have a moderator or enthusiast longtime member lead a weekly photo challenge (with a different theme each week) giving members the opportunity to upload photos that match the theme without limiting them and without choosing a 'winner' each time. I suspect that many members on this forum are looking for more opportunities to get out and shoot, but not really looking for some kind of competition element with winners etc. Just start a 'Weekly Challenge' with interesting themes where members can upload new photos, not old photos which they can put in several other sections. Don't make it a competition with a winner and losers, because I think something like that is counterproductive and just doesn't work in the long run!

My advice to you: if you feel like starting something like this and I think you want to, PM the owner of Cameraderie and ask for permission to start a Weekly Challenge starting next weekend, I think there will be enough members participating!!
I would participate if someone wanted to start a weekly challenge! Cool idea.
However I was just asking all the site mods to help restart the long running monthly challenge.
These challenges never really had a sense of competition. Quite the opposite in fact, most all the entries were exceptional making the choice often very difficult.
Frequently folks would write up a little review of each submission. All friendly fun with no pressure to be a 'winner'.
Simply a subjective choice by the theme's sponsor. This went on for years with varying levels of participation which seemed to be based upon the specific chosen theme.

Except for the unfortunate current deadlock, which is largely due to the lack of subsequent participation by the nominees, I still prefer the idea of rotating hosting based on the sensibilities of the current host or, failing that, the consensus of the audience (i.e., counting votes or....). I see the value as twofold. First, the burden of hosting is shared. Second, the differing sensibilities of many hosts should serve to foster variety both in subjects and results. It might be a good idea to amend the rules of the challenge to make clear the path forward in a situation like the present. Further, I would be afraid that insisting on new work within a one-week format would limit participation.

Back