Challenge! Cameraderie Challenge #70: One Subject, Wide and Tight

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
Start Date
Jun 5, 2024
End Date
Jun 30, 2024
I'm following Ken's and Jens's examples of Cameraderie Challenges #67 and #69 here, and making this a two-image challenge.

It's one of the eternal storytelling techniques in cinema, documentaries and moving images in general: a wide-angle establishing shot followed by a close-up of the subject.

That duo is also the theme of this challenge. I don't care that much about the focal length, so long as the combination of setting the scene and closer inspection are applied to the same subject (a normal or even tele establishing shot is acceptable for instance, and so is a wide angle macro close-up). Also feel free to flip the order if you feel that that matches your "mini story" better.

As an example:
1000078388.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And
1000078387.jpg

The standard rules apply:

As usual, this Challenge will consider originality, technical merit and artistic vision.
No change to the tried and trusted rules, which are as follows:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the image in order to enter it.
2. Only one entry per challenge, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your
replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.
3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!
4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Cameraderie Photo Challenges forum,
with details of the new theme. Don't forget - the opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.
5. The curator cannot enter in his / her / their own challenge.

This challenge will open June 05, 2024 and will run until June 30, 2024 - 21:00 UTC+2 (or as close as I manage to log in)

Last edited:
I'll echo Don's comment-- a truly nice idea for a Challenge.
My two photos were taken on the rural lane where I live, on a snowy morning, with an ultra wide angle lens (my Rokinon 12mm) on my X-T5. The first shot is the wider, 'establishing' angle--

XT5_Feb2_24_winter_landscape_Rapp_Rd#1.jpg

But I was drawn to the way the snow looked on the bushes - I remember thinking at the time that they reminded me of a scene from Greek mythology, of Medusa's head of hair made up of small individual snakes - so I moved in closer for this 2nd angle--

XT5_Feb2_24_winter_landscape_Rapp_Rd#2.jpg

This was a tough one for me. Given the opportunity, I pretty much always shoot a subject both wide and tight from a variety of angles. During editing, though, everything but a single keeper from the scene generally gets lost to the cull and disappears into the bowels of the archives.

These 2 shots were made 4 years apart and came through different culls. From the EXIF data, I suspect they were among the first shots I made with their respective bodies.

LE_12-4396.jpg

LE_12-1388.jpg

Back