Name
Don
Start Date
Dec 10, 2020
End Date
Dec 25, 2020
Starting Dec. 10th and Ending Dec. 25th 2020
The Cameraderie 41st Challenge theme is: Sun

As we move on toward the end of 2020, let’s see your best sun photo.
Most of us have taken a few. Sunrise, Sunset or any other photo featuring the sun. After this memorable mess of a year, see it out with our closest star’s beauty.

As usual, this challenge will consider originality, technical merit, and artistic vision.

No change to the tried and trusted rules, which are as follows:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per challenge, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo-challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Cameraderie Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter in his or her own challenge.

Last edited:
DSC05281_ILCE-6400_1_500_4.0_100_200.0 mm_FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one was taken in Aug. I removed some ugly stuffs on the exterior of the buildings and straightened it up.

DSC06314.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Insane smog can make for very pretty sunsets.

There's a theory that these pyramids were built to line up with other stars than the Sun, namely in Orion's belt, but this is not commonly accepted. They are all aligned with their sides facing the four cardinal directions, and therefore 1 side sees the sun rise in the east and another sees it set in the west. They're a good bit North of the Tropic of Cancer so the Sun is never quite straight overhead, although it gets close in summer.

Incidentally, this photo was taken on the evening of the winter solstice of 2019, by no feat of planning whatsoever (a week earlier I didn't even know I'd be in Egypt yet).

Last edited:
This was fun. Great entries from all. As is usually the case with these challenges, the variety and quality of images is amazing. Thanks to everyone who participated. My initial thought in choosing the theme was looking for a bright ending to this tough year.

jyc86923: This image of the sun partially blocked by the high rising building speaks to me on multiple levels. Very strong and beautiful image.

tonyturley: Nice juxtaposition of the sunrise crossed by sky trails with the physical cross itself against an early sunrise.

emerson: I have always found lighthouses to be cool photographically. This image nails the sunlight with the distant silhouettes to give the sense of scale, Very cool.

drd1135: Nice example of a sunstar and how their flaring light can really make for a dazzling image!

pictogramax: You image really reflects the power of the sun. Rarely have I seen an image that shows such as realistic depiction of how the sun can overwhelm the senses. Great shades too.

pdurand: This would be an amazing image even without the single boater. It becomes really outstanding with tthe bird!

bartjeej: Great story to go along with another outstanding image. I have always thought these buildings were fascinating. Yet most of the photos I have seen do not really convey the scale along with the timeless of the design. This one does it all!

ricks: Fabulous image that emphasizes the variety of contrast and color the sun brings us. And looks so painterly you would think Van Gogh had a hand in this.

matero: This is an image reminds me of many times past when I was flying around meeting people instead of interacting with them on the computer screen. There is something about the quality of light from that altitude that makes this photo really beautiful.

theoldsmithy: Your image evokes a great wish to be there walking down that trail. The way the sun is rendered is really interesting with a a strange sort of sci-fi set feeling. Cool.

Ok, I think these are all winners.
Since I have to choose one, it is pdurand. From the moment I saw this image it became stuck in my head. Beautiful, with great color showing our sun bringing hope and life.
Congratulations Pierre, you get the prize of hosting the next challenge.
Thanks again to all the contributors.

Back