Daily Challenge Cameraderie Photo Challenge #44: Best photo of 2020 - Winner announced

I took this photo at a local monument for those that have been taken out of our lives
1613203509333.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
The sun just helped me so much.

I don't know if this is *best* but it's one that I am very happy with, for a variety of reasons.

Mispec NB, on warm but foggy June evening.
@serhan: I've made an edit to the image to level the horizon. If you feel this should disqualify the image from the competition, I will understand.

@wee-pics: thanks for the heads up on that, still not sure how that got past me.

This is tough - I uploaded 10,498 photos onto Flickr in 2020 (uploaded as albums of walks for my Dad to look at) and I have to chose 1...well here goes. We'd never been to Scotland before this last year for a holiday, so through AirBnB we found a fantastic place to stay in Newton Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway only 305 miles from our home.

Having driven up on the Sunday and on the Monday felt like going for a walk to explore the local area, having sat in a car for over 5hrs the day before. We managed a 9 mile walk and found this unusual church ruin in Minnigaff, on the edge of Newton Stewart.

This is the old parish church of Minnigaff, which is a ruin in the churchyard of the 'new' church. It was so intriguing to see the graves inside the ruined church. It's a special photo for me as it is of our first visit to Scotland.
50317595342_2724cd76d4_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thank you very much for all the entrees. All the images were excellent and it was very hard to decide. Eventually I made a decision. Congtrats to Dave (davect01)! His daughter's smile on her face made me to go back to that image, priceless!

I am closing the competition with Nate Townsend's short film that reminds viewers about the value and importance of capturing moments. Made as a reminder to his deceased father, Townsend’s film is based on the dedication of preserving the passion of photography.

To learn more about the piece and the story that inspired it: 'Do It Justice' is a Poignant Film About the Value of Capturing Moments

Last edited:
A thought-provoking Challenge and a worthy winner - congrats Dave - and a special thanks to serhan, both for making us all think, and also for posting that short video about the photographer Terry Fouché, which was rather moving.
Thanks. I used to go to NG photographer seminars in DC and I loved those... There is always a question of gear at the end, but the intend and focus of the photographers is the important part esp when millions of photos are taken by cell phones today... Another photographer that I like:

The silent drama of photography | Sebastião Salgado

Thanks. I used to go to NG photographer seminars in DC and I loved those... There is always a question of gear at the end, but the intend and focus of the photographers is the important part esp when millions of photos are taken by cell phones today... Another photographer that I like:

The silent drama of photography | Sebastião Salgado

Sebastião Salgado is another of those photographers who, the more one starts looking through and at portions of his work, over the years and across the decades, the more one winds up staring in silent admiration. He seems to be one of those rare photographers with the gift of being in the right place, at the right time, again and again and again; his images run the range between intimate and personal and timeless and epic.

Nice little film on him, too. Thanks for sharing it :)

Thank you very much for all the entrees. All the images were excellent and it was very hard to decide. Eventually I made a decision. Congtrats to Dave (davect01)! His daughter's smile on her face made me to go back to that image, priceless!

I am closing the competition with Nate Townsend's short film that reminds viewers about the value and importance of capturing moments. Made as a reminder to his deceased father, Townsend’s film is based on the dedication of preserving the passion of photography.

To learn more about the piece and the story that inspired it: 'Do It Justice' is a Poignant Film About the Value of Capturing Moments
Thanks for the nod.

It has been a tough, exciting and crazy year for all. We are just happy to have had some enjoyment along the way.

Back