Name
Don
Start Date
Apr 7, 2021
End Date
Apr 30, 2021
Start Date April 7, 2021 End Date April 30, 2021

Outside:
Many people have spent much of the last year inside. Myself included. And according to the urban dictionary "it's uncomfortable and there is this big hot thing in the sky and there are other people that you sometimes have to talk to" and they might be spreading a poorly understood virus...
I added that last part.
For me at least, going outside has proven to be one of the most therapeutic things to do during this global pandemic. Outside of your room, or house, city, country, comfort zone, etc...
Let see your best outside image.

As usual, this challenge will consider originality, technical merit, and artistic vision.

No change to the tried and trusted rules, which are as follows:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per challenge, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

4. The winner will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Challenge, and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Cameraderie Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - the opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter in his or her own challenge.

Have fun !!!

Last edited:
25232198148_c9a7c7b35f_c.jpg

Here in southern Oregon, Spring and springtime have arrived with a vengeance. Everywhere one sees multiple shades of green and flowers galore. The large garden area outside my old farmhouse seems to spill out into the surrounding countryside, especially when everything is out-of-focus-blurry. But for my 'Outside' entry, I couldn't resist using what Steve Huff once called the 'Lens ball', a globe which creates some strange and remarkable perspectives - and which, when placed in proximity to a camera lens, does even stranger magic. This was taken with my Lens Ball outside, looking out at the garden - and by extension, the greening of my adopted state, Oregon---

X30_Apr24_21_farmland_thru_globe.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It also does something I have occasionally thought and wondered about: compressing something limitlessly wide...into the rounded perspective of a self-contained globe.

About as broad a subject that I could think of. The submissions really provide an amazing display, a variety that I find represents this list well.
Some thoughts on my impressions about each.

Emerson (David): Lighting is fundemental in the photo and impresses along with the contrast of an approaching skater casting that wonderful shadow. And the reflection on the ice adds a feeling that makes me think this to be an outside I would love to experience, almost otherworldly. Really nice.

Ingall: I really find kites a fascinating and truly representative of the wide open outdoors and your image really captures the dynamic and thrill of watching how they respond to wind. Also, there is a sense of movement enhanced by the use of wideangle and framing. And I have to mention that the subtle colors and cloudy sky make a really cool image.

pdurand (Pierre): This is a fantastic capture. The chipmunk appears to be peering out from its door to test the air. A tentative move outside that fits the theme well. And what an interesting place, I like to think is its found home.

Moonmind (Matt): I love the way this image works on different levels. The freshly cut tree is revealed to the outside at the cost of its life. Then there is the wood pile separated by the out of focus track beyond which is a wider outside. This is further enhanced by the focus plane sharply detailing the smaller dead tree limbs. I keep coming back to this image and find it fascinating. Very cool.

davect101: I love bubbles. Always have since I was a kid. This image really shows how the simple act of blow bubbles can be a really fun outdoor activity. Great image.

theoldsmithy: This image really resonates with me. When I lived in Central Texas the wildflowers in spring time, really were outstanding. There they have a wildflower center that we visit where the State Flower, the blue bonnet, looks a lot like these blue bells. This image reminds of spring day in that place. Very nice outside image.

MiguelATF: (Miguel): While some may find the lens ball too gimmicky, I have always found them really cool. It carries the connotation of magic (the seeing crystal, or the plantir from Tolkien). The way your image emphasizes an inversion of the outside world beyond in sharp focus, while the distant world is mysteriously out of focus is really cool. Also the way your fingers enter the image adds more to the magical feel. Like a wizard about to perform some spell upon the outside world. Super image!

Briar (Karen): The image really is amazing. I happen to be a fascinated by the monochrom cameras and the tonal qualities they produce. Your image uses that tool to great effect creating a fascinating image that works many levels. The tree creates a framing for the outside world beyond, the smaller limbs superimposed on the clouds add a sense of drama, and the shadow line in the foreground sets another framing for the distance mysterious landscape. This image is truly awesome.

ricks: Great image that shows a person apparently dressed for a journey and thoughtfully hesitating to go outside the gate. And the light quality casts a shimmering quality to the clothing that adds a feeling of mystery. A great image that really resonates with me.

I really appreciate all of these images and have narrowed it down to some favorites. A hard choice but, I choose Briar’s image as the winner of this challenge. And pass the honor of the next challenge to you.

Thank you, Don, aka donlaw, for thoughtful and detailed judging (rereading your comments has given me additional insights and perspectives) of a contest that, given the remarkable entries, I know was difficult to 'judge' - and my sincere congratulations to Karen, aka Briar, for creating an image that, as Don noted, is both amazing, mysterious, and awesome - one that is truly worthy of recognition, and of multiple re-viewings.

Back