Cameras not gadgets.

hate this one

I am gonna guess that you are going to hate this concept camera, very few buttons or levers in sight:

WVIL - Wireless Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens
ProductShot-2-FullSize.jpg

Feature_01.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
One of the cool things about things about the concept shown in the video is that the lens does not even need to be attached to the camera to take pictures.

He has an interesting short article about the future of photography and cameras.
http://www.artefactgroup.com/#/content/what-your-digital-camera-will-do…-three-years-from-now/

The concept is that we no longer need buttons all over the place. You may not like it and I am sure more traditional cameras will continue to be produced to satisfy the purists. It is fascinating to look into the future and see what innovation will bring.

Again as another example look at the changes in the mobile telephones. Remember these ones? They made phone calls, that's about it:
latest-fun-top-cool-new-high-technology-gadgets-babiken_retro_mp4.jpg

1255307994IO9C36.jpg

1249123327htcX6z.jpg

Now look at phones being produced today Many of these phones have only one or two buttons, all the rest is touch screen. Now you can carry on video calls, text, check the latest sports scores, see what your Facebook friends are doing, etc:
TD3NHIF2gG47S8AkxKMKo4p45tRg5hY1pegSMsPOAYgsL8Zi-rLxDAnxYqwAf5_zDaUgCLZPA_SW01PzhPKyUFhojMW20ii1mmH  _1jIqQ2ISMwA_YHH8UsYXlarO38Dt1VIcLLpWXkd4dA2qX9JOd  ZuAbXetlBz8CXIQNlVCQsFTDRKZjIj63WxqJb_NSYg

htc-evo-sprint-hero-sm.jpg

thunderbolt-verizon-Support-1396.png

However, it still holds true that no matter what extra features you cram in, if the device does not do it's job, it is worthless. A phone that makes lousy calls is frustrating, despite it's cool features. As well a fancy camera that can not produce a good image is pointless. Also if it is difficult and clumsy, you will not use it.

Given all of the above, I'm currently reviewing a Pentax K5 for SC and I have to say I really love this camera (viewfinder and all).

The K-5 is definitely the camera to beat. Lately I have been using an Olympus PEN but it does seem far too much like a gadget in comparison.

What is the difference? I suppose a gadget has features for the sake of it or simply to look cool. A gadget requires one to menu dive. A purpose-built tool, on the other hand, measures every control and feature against the task it is designed to solve. it serves the photographer, not the other way around.

I look forward to your review.

It is dead easy for current mirrorless systems to be 100% better. All the components are out there, spread between Sony, Ricoh, Fuji etc. Here's one recipe. I start with a PEN since it has IBIS, a solid metal build and a nice non-DSLR styling.

Olympus E-P1 + built-in EVF + tilt screen + second front dial + ISO assignable to dials + custom menu = WIN!

I'd like to exchange the PEN sensor for a nice APS-C, if I might, in your recipe?:D

APS-C is a different format than µ4/3 and no µ4/3 lens could work with the broader sensor. But it is not necessary to choose APS-C, because the difference regarding sensor size is not as dramatic as some people suggest. A µ4/3 lens which is one stop faster than its APS-C counterpart will overcompensate the larger sensor size, if the sensor technology is about the same. The problem is, that not all sensors in current µ4/3 cameras are at the top of what is possible today.

Paul...you and Jono make me salivate over the Pentax......I might just 'ave a look at it!! I like the EP2 and I think that Oly has made a mistake with so many models, each with something the other doesn't have...they should rethunk the whole thing over again

But it is not necessary to choose APS-C, because the difference regarding sensor size is not as dramatic as some people suggest.

I agree. My wish list had nothing to do with image quality for a good reason... people in general make too big a deal over the newest sensor and incremental improvements to ISO 6400 noise reduction etc. etc. Usability and dependability of the camera are far more important. I could list quite a few other desirable changes but I've already done that nit-picky exercise in several articles on my blog.

Back