Sigma CameraStore reviews Sigma DP1/2 Merril

Rajiv,

Having just bought a DP2M I didn't need this video to convince me, but it has made me impatient for the rain to stop so I can get out and try it for myself. The forecast is giving rain for 3 days :( with Christmas Day looking like my first available opportunity. Old fashioned, film like, slow, clunky, take your time at low iso and tripod mounted, sounds just what I've been looking for :)

Barrie

Rajiv,

Having just bought a DP2M I didn't need this video to convince me, but it has made me impatient for the rain to stop so I can get out and try it for myself. The forecast is giving rain for 3 days :( with Christmas Day looking like my first available opportunity. Old fashioned, film like, slow, clunky, take your time at low iso and tripod mounted, sounds just what I've been looking for :)

Barrie

Exactly! It's like a drunk Uncle at a wedding, terribly embarrassing to hang with, but who also tells the best jokes. I think I'll get me a DP1M as well.

I think I'll get me a DP1M as well.

I had considered that, but for the moment I've settled on a secondhand DP1 as well as the DP2M, so older and even clunkier, as much to see how often I'd prefer the wider angle of view compared to the DP2M. The DP2M is the equivalent of a 107mm lens on a 6 x 9 roll film camera which is what I started out with 40+ years, a 105mm f/4.5 lens on a folding roll film Voigtlander, then later a 90mm f/3.5 on my Mamiya Press with the choice of 6 x 7 and 6 x 9 backs. Therefore it was the focal length that I used to see the world with, I'm looking forward to the freedom of no choice of lens but the one fitted to the camera and hopefully something approaching the quality of images that those two old timers used to achieve.

Barrie

I am having fun with this instrument (DP2M). Please also see my images at this thread: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f92/color-images-nature-511/index47.html . However, in the current intense and strong summer light, owing to habits developed with Bayer sensors, I am occasionally burning out extreme highlights. I need to get the exposure right for this. Seems to require at least -1.3 or more to avoid this and I need to get used to the fact that it will still preserve shadow detail. In all other respects it is a peach.

8296728115_122d0f8ae1_b.jpg

20121219-_SDI0492 by Xuereb1, on Flickr

f:3.5

I have been looking for picture perfection for a while now. After dslrs I have now settled on the fuji x100. Such a pleasure working with one focal length. Was interested in the Fuji xe1 becaus elf that new sensor, but when I saw the raw files coming from the dp2m, it got me very interested indeed. Well, all the foibles it may have and the poor software pale into insignificance compared to what this camera can throw out.

I can go out all day and not take a shot if I don't think there has been anything worth shooting, so the 'considered' approach to photography that this camera seems to demand sounds perfect. The latest video preview tipped it for me. Gonna wait for the post.xmas sales to come then I am gonna get me one of those dp2ms. Don't reckon I will get any more money off though.

Two weeks ago, the little sigma never crossed my mind, but a chance view on a forum was the catalyst..

I've just noticed that Chris Nicholls is wearing a cap with Lada written on it, is that the same Lada I know off who made rather dodgy cars, and he's slagging off a Sigma camera :laugh1:

Barrie

Chris' dodgy Lada Niva has taken us on some amazing journeys. If the Sigma can bring a fraction of the joy, its a hell of a camera!

Lada Niva's are actually incredibly capable cars, especially when you need to go offroad or use it in winter conditions!

I really like the TCS reviews, they're funny but still informative and sincere. Glad to see them give this unique camera an honest chance by showing what it does best!

Back