CameraWorld Show, London

Mike G

All-Pro
Name
Mike Gorman
Went to the CameraWorld Show yesterday inLondon. All the big players were there Nikon, Canao, Lumix, Olympus, Sony and several independent lens makers. most if not all the independents were very biased towards Nikon, Canon and Sony, so I did not hang around for very long. Had a very nice chat with a lady on the Lumix stand, who told me that Panasonic are well aware of the peeling rubber skin problems with certain models(G9). Handled an Lumix S1 wow is that one a big one! Fantastic Viewfinder and very fast in operation, Sadly the lenses are huge compared to my Lumix G series.
By contrast the Olympus stand was very downbeat hardly any gear to play with, was told the EM1X was produced to assuage people who apparently asked for a physically bigger camera! EH.
Nikon had a large presence, so I had a play with a Z6, super small body and again enormous lenses, their 24-70mm 2.8 lens need its own transport to move it around. even their kit 24-70 F4 is twice the size of my P 12-35mm. Compared to my Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8 it's three times the size, and of course that also applies to their other fast lenses. The Z6 felt good in the hand and the VF is good but not as good as the S1 VF. felt better to my hands as it has significantly smaller body. and of course there is only one memory slot.
Sadly all my photos were a disaster and will have to go in the bin! oh dear. Still a pleasant couple of hours although the space was a bit cramped!

A further observation is about the X-Pro 3, the implementation of this new body is one of disappointment. The panel on the rear is very dim as it is not backlit, making it very difficult to read! Also the drop down LCD is another to me a big no no. Otherwise I could have been tempted back to the Fuji fold but never with the X-Pro 3. It felt very small to hold which is good, I’m sure it will take super photos but not with me I’m afraid as the Lumix GX8/GX9 is streets ahead in the ergonomics department. IQ being similar it’s just not for me I’m afraid!

Back