Can a dedicated mirrorless shooter find true happiness with a DSLR?

Some months ago the full frame DSLR bug hit me, too, and I suffered that bug for months. I remember, that I even wrote about my plans in this thread. However, I have learned not to give way too early. In the meantime I have recovered from that illness without loosing money by switching to a different system. Waiting and shooting helps defeating the nasty full frame DSLR bug a lot.

How does this compare with mirrorless PDAF systems?

Since mirrorless PDAF systems all seem to be paired with CDAF, I think it's a non-issue. The exception I'm aware of is using the EM1 with older 4/3 DSLR lenses, which it evidently does pretty well with, although no personal experience to confirm this. But the EM1 has a focus fine tuning utility specifically to deal with this. Doesn't come into play with standard m43 lenses though. Ther the PDAF can speed things up and help with things like tracking, but I think the critical detailed focus is still handled by CDAF.

-Ray

Ray, I hope you can share some landscape shots with lots of green and foliage with the X-T1 with us. I`m interested to see whether the smearing and watercoloring effects of the X-trans sensor is still an issue. The watercoloring, AF, shutter lag and EVF refresh rate issues made me abandon the Fujis. Shutter lag, AF, and EVF refresh rate issues might have been addressed reasonably well by now, but the watercoloring of foliage would still be beyond my level of tolerance considering the alternatives. (my benchmark landscape cameras are the Merrills)
This is an area where we just differ. I was never bothered by the watercolor effect others talk about with previous Fuji's. And while I was absolutely amazed by the resolution of the DP1M and loved to inspect those images at the pixel level, I didn't ultimately like that super-resolve look all that much. I didn't DIS-like it, mind you. But on my trip in Italy last summer, I shot landscapes with the RX1, Fuji XE1 (all with the 14mm lens), DP1M, and Nikon A and pretty consistently liked the look and feel of the RX1 and Fuji shots the most, the Nikon closely behind those, and the DP1M least (but not by much - they're all quite good IMHO). From a standpoint of personal taste, I like the smooth and creamy look of the Fuji more than the super-resolved look of the DP1M. Although I liked the RX1, which sort of combined the two, a lot.

But I'll post some when I have them (not much green around here at the moment) and you can judge for yourself.

-Ray

Ray, thanks for this camera gear adventure. Always informative, like the gr/a camera comparisons. Good luck with the fuji x-t1. It looks like a great camera.

Contrary to your experience with the full frame df, I've been using my d700 for over five years and have only wet cleaned it three times. Even then, it was/is just to satisfy my own level of tolerance for dust. Nothing ever showed up on my images. I do often change lenses at home, so maybe that counts for something. Always with the body faced down to the floor, maybe that also counts for something. I don't really know. Just habit now.

I've also never needed to fine tune any of my lenses. I've checked a few. They were spot on. These include a handful of af-d primes, one af-s prime, and an af-s zoom I recently sold. They are all really just perfect. No complaints here.

I'm also interested in fuji's cameras and lenses. Perhaps in a year or so, if nikon doesn't come up with something I'd like as an upgrade to the d700, I might try the x-t1. I never buy just released cameras. Always wait six months, a year, to read about them, see image quality, handling opinion, and the love/hate comments that can only come with living with the gear.

Personally, I'm wanting similar autofocus ability to the d700, a 100% viewfinder, and quiet, fast operation. Like I've mentioned before, I'd also like smaller, lighter, and a sensible dial/button layout for my needs. I also do like/prefer the image quality I see from full frame sensors. I know some feel that aps c is the same, but I don't feel that's true.

I could live fine with a d800 body, the size and weight of the df, smaller if possible, but same build quality and as good or better autofocus system. Also, I really don't need/want more than 24mp's. I'm actually feeling quite fine about the 16mp sensor in the ricoh gr I recently bought. It's enough for me and the size I like to print at (small, never bigger than 12x12 inches and often smaller).

The image quality off the df you showed us is really quite wonderful. Can't wait to read of your experience with the new fuji body and lenses: and to see image quality.

I had to make AF micro-adjustments for quite a few of my DSLR lenses. Sigmas were the worst offenders, but I had to do it for a few of my Canons as well. I had a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and a Canon 50mm f1.4 that were essentially unusable on camera bodies without AF micro-adjustment.

The image quality off the df you showed us is really quite wonderful. Can't wait to read of your experience with the new fuji body and lenses: and to see image quality.
The XT1 has some features that are new (or combinations of features like the EVF and tilt LCD) and handles a bit differently than previous Fujis, but the image quality really should be unchanged from previous models. They've been using the same basic sensor they developed for the X-Pro 1, which has been around for about 2 years now - they've added PDAF pixels to the versions in the X100s, XE2, and now XT1, but otherwise the sensor is unchanged. And I had some of the lenses previously so I know them pretty well. So I don't expect to show anything with notably different IQ from what I was shooting 2 years ago with the X-Pro or last summer still with the XE1 and 14mm. Except to the extent that Adobe improves Lightroom's handling of the Fuji raw files, which may happen. This move was more of a retreat to something tried and true that I know I'm comfortable with, but with a couple of new lenses I hadn't used before. I don't think APS is the same as full frame, but with the lenses I was willing to use with full frame, I think it's very very close - if I was willing to shoot with the fastest primes and the big fast zooms, that would be a different story, but I'm not.

I'm in no way arguing that the Fuji gear is better than the Df or other Nikon DSLRs, just that its a better fit for me...

-Ray

A kind of funny thing happened, as if the BOTS are ratifying my decision to go back to Fuji. While I was still thinking about it, I went back and found a few Fuji raw files I'd never processed just to see how well they held up to my sometimes over-wrought processing relative to the Df files. I liked a couple of them enough to put up on Flickr. The Explore bots seemed to like one of them and it went somewhat viral - just a sort of typical street shot of mine taken with the XM1 during the short loaner period I had with that camera last summer. Then when I got the XT1, I shot a few photos around the house just to play with it. I processed a few and posted exactly one of them on Flickr, a shot of some dead flowers left over from Valentines Day. Based on the number of favorites I've gotten from people I've never heard of, THAT one appears to be on Explore too. I've never pretended to understand or like the criteria they use to pick shots for that Explore page, but if there is a sign from the technological Gods that I made the right call for me, this must be it... ;)

-Ray

The XT1 has some features that are new (or combinations of features like the EVF and tilt LCD) and handles a bit differently than previous Fujis-Ray

ah, this interests me too, viewfinder and tilting lcd...I'd really love that on a next body, and why I might be willing to compromise a bit on image quality to get the handling, ease of framing I'd like...I just love the swivel lcd's on my old canon a630/a640...and before buying the ricoh gr I almost bought the fuji x-a1 because of excellent image quality and that tilting lcd...still, the gr won out 'cause i wanted very small, very light, take everywhere tool...as small as it was the x-a1 was not the right fit for me...

beautiful flowers, Ray...

Ray, it was meant to be. The first camera I got a magazine cover with was a Leica point and shoot. So, guess what point and shoots hold a special place in my heart? It doesn't matter that they are are rebranded Panasonic. Photography is an art after all. Pragmatism and logic sometimes take a back seat. In your case, I'd say you have pragmatism and logic in your favor as well.

I hate when you have to take in a stray like that Karen. But they break your heart if you don't, so what choice does one have?

It's a wonderful camera. I hope the dust devils leave you alone and you find the right set of lenses. What glass are you starting off with?

Have a blast with it!

-Ray

Wow I haven't been here for a loooooooong time and the GAS is still here! Must resist urge to get DF... (Seeing some of the comments here kinda, maybe, maybe not, possibly make me regret going not going for a DF and getting a 6D instead...)

But more seriously, I recently sold most of my m43 gear (for the second time!) for a Canon 6D just because I always ended up carrying a camera bag around anyway, and wanted better IQ (high ISO) and more DOF and price wise I got an excellent deal for the 6D, 50mm 1,2 and 24-70mm 2.8 mark 2 all in new or refurb condition for the SAME price as a DF and 50 1.8 (here in the UK the DF is much much more expensive than it is elsewhere). For me the weight isn't a big issue and I'm loving the IQ i am getting and the ergonomics, I just thought that if I'm carrying a bag anyway I might as well not restrict myself to just m43.

For my lightweight solution, I think I will wait and see how the new G1X II is or get a Ricoh GR or RX100 (I or II) as they are truly pocketable and don't make me think "what lens should I take" before I go out lol Part of me thinks I might just be going through a phase, especially as Sony's FE mount series cameras and lenses will just keep getting better and better.... but only time will tell... (anyone care to place a bet? :p )

Finding happiness with gear just comes down to personal preference and shooting style - I'm a big believer that all gear these days provides excellent IQ and that most of us don't even need the crazy high ISOs/dynamic range, though it is useful.

Thanks BBW! It's been far too long since I've been active on this site - the last few years have been interesting and very busy for me. I have much to share in another thread, I guess it'll be quite looong and be about what I've been up to the last few years as well as the usual GAS talk... oh and some photos :p

Thanks BBW! It's been far too long since I've been active on this site - the last few years have been interesting and very busy for me. I have much to share in another thread, I guess it'll be quite looong and be about what I've been up to the last few years as well as the usual GAS talk... oh and some photos :p

Tell us about your job in the "industry"!!! :)

Ray, what a thread! I loved reading your thoughts, which are always easy on the mind. Thanks.

In my book, you belong in the club of great shooters, along with Little Mt, who really couldn't take a bad picture with ANY camera. I mean it. With that said, looking at your pictures in general, it helps me realize how close these different sensors are in most cases. I know there are huge exceptions sometimes, like your high ISO example, but otherwise, for the "general" stuff, on my screen, I don't think I could tell the difference. It just shows how crucial the person behind the camera is.

Back