Compact Can any compact format fullfill this need really well ??

To the OP: I would consider getting the Sigma 30/1.4 for your Canon APS-C DSLR. It has a lovely, smooth character to the bokeh with good central sharpness even wide open. DOF with that lens seems more shallow than one would expect from a 30/1.4 on APS-C. It's one failing is that the autofocus can be hit or miss, but a good copy of the lens will serve you well in getting the look you seek.

This statement describes a specific group of people, mostly on DPReview. It's inaccurate and insulting to refer to "m4/3 people" as if we were a homogeneous group of blinded fanboys and fangirls. Many of us agree that people who find shallow DOF a high priority would do well to look elsewhere. On the other hand, it's an objective truth that the DOF difference between MFT and APS-C is less than the difference between APS-C and 35mm format, and it's also true that the differences will depend on the lenses you choose. For example, someone shooting the Sony 35/1.8 on NEX will not find any DOF difference between that combo and Pana 25/1.4 on MFT, whereas someone shooting kit zoom vs kit zoom or primarily using legacy lenses will find more shallow DOF with the NEX system.

Amin, two things. First, if I sounded insulting, I do apologize, it was far from being my intention ! All that I meant is that, from a personal point of view, and it relates only to MY perception of things, the DOF advantage of APS-C over m4/3 is generally very underrated by people who really love m4/3. I assume they love the format so much (which is a positive thing) the plusses really outweight that particular minus. I remember starting shooting APS-C after several months with m4/3 (and I was using the PL25 almost exclusively !!) about 2 weeks ago, and being litterally shocked (again, in a very pleasant way) at how better my DOF control was. It's not only a quantitative perspective difference, the out of focus areas have a quality that is very rarely seen with m4/3, even when using the best suited lenses (PL25 and Oly 45/1.8).
I don't really see that statement insulting anybody, it's a mere opinion, but I've had numerous enough discussions with m4/3 shooters to think they truly are happily underrating this aspect, exactly the way NEX users (like me now) do like to underrate the lacking lens selection in the format a bit ;)

About the Sigma I totally second your opinion, didn't have the 30 but several units of the 50/1.4 and I absolutely love the rendering of the lens.

Not trying to add too much to your confusion, but if you are comfortable with the ~80mm-e focal length and are looking for better subject isolation in low light, the m4/3 Olympus 45mm f/1.8 might be a better (and cheaper!) option than the Panasonic 25/1.4

(Personally I think that focal length would be difficult to shoot in a crowded bar since you need more distance from your subject, leaving a lot of room for people to get in your way inadvertently. But if it works for you, go for it.)

As is the DOF advantage of FF over APS-C by people who really love APS-C. And that is a larger difference, with no fast APS-C lenses to make up for it. At least, MFT has some fast f/0.95 lenses to bridge the difference from APS-C, but APS-C has nothing to bridge the difference from FF.

If you appreciate DOF control, APS-C is not the format you should choose. Go FF, then you'll see the difference in both DOF and IQ.

Oh gosh, not that argument again :-( FYI I've been shooting FF since 2008, so I think I know what kind of DOF works for me or not. I absolutely respect all people and their preferences, I was just pointing out the fact the OP seemed to put a big emphasis on DOF control, hence m4/3 was a less favorable mirrorless options then APS-C sensor based one.
Case closed as far as I'm concerned, I font want to fight with anyone, I'm too busy actually making pictures ;-)

Not trying to add too much to your confusion, but if you are comfortable with the ~80mm-e focal length and are looking for better subject isolation in low light, the m4/3 Olympus 45mm f/1.8 might be a better (and cheaper!) option than the Panasonic 25/1.4

(Personally I think that focal length would be difficult to shoot in a crowded bar since you need more distance from your subject, leaving a lot of room for people to get in your way inadvertently. But if it works for you, go for it.)

No I want to get wider, it was just thats what I had on hand to start.

I am in the process of picking up the 30mm f1.4 Sigma prime for the DSLR..

I am also all hooked on reviews and info on the ODM system and the Fuji Xe1 reviews.. That Fuji looks amazing, and with a f1.4 prime in its lens options seems like it would just be a superb street / bar shooter.

So many nice bits of kit coming out.

... its not that noise often makes me go "Oh I cant use that" but focus / blur / shake or movement is what ruins 70% of my shots. I will take noise to get the glow, that ambient reflected light captured from all sources.

There's an easy solution to that: Shoot RAW in M mode with the lens wide open, the shutter speed set to the lowest speed that you can hold steady, and the highest ISO that comfortably won't overexpose (or use Auto ISO if your camera will do that in M mode), and don't fret if the pictures look very underexposed. Then push them as much as needed during RAW conversion. I think an OMD and Pana 25/1.4 would work well for you with that approach.

Back