Can anyone explain why my photo became popular on Flickr?

Jonathan F/2

All-Pro
Name
Jonathan
48883902687_86047f55e6_b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

191011_DESIDERIO_PARK_PHOTOS_FRIOLO by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Several days ago I uploaded this shot on Flickr and for some reason it's getting quite a few "favs" and engagements? I don't really use Flickr for social media or the online community aspects, I mainly use it as a backup for my images! I'm just curious why certain photos catch on? Thanks for any insights!

I think its a matter of timing... you upload at a time when a few people are looking at recent uploads, and it kinda grows from there. Also if for some reason it ended up being Explored, theres that. I had a similar reaction to a shot from my TZ60 which I thought was very ordinary. It has ended up with thousands of views, because of Explore.

18759864171_29ec3ea032_b.jpg
Stormy
by Sue Wotton, on Flickr

View attachment 207161

Several days ago I uploaded this shot on Flickr and for some reason it's getting quite a few "favs" and engagements? I don't really use Flickr for social media or the online community aspects, I mainly use it as a backup for my images! I'm just curious why certain photos catch on? Thanks for any insights!
It's near Halloween and the photo looks like there are "Spooooky Ghooooosts" rising from the ground.

I tend to look from a more positive perspective, it might be how our furry friends see the world, and yes, I mean wolves.

I suppose to be more positive, we could look further ahead to the festive Christmas season then, where there's snow, jingling bells, Santa Claus, presents ... ghosts of christmas past ... regrets for things said and done in the past year ... Michael Buble ..... :(:(:(

For me, it seems to be about the search hits.

Photos I think are superior or interesting like Stormy Ocean usually only get a few hits while photos that happen to have a popular search term that were just random snapshots Sony RX100 Example get almost 30k.
A point which could be a whole conversation on it's own, the impact of SEO when it comes to photography. You give a perfect example where a shot that might be expected to be more popular, 'Stormy Ocean', doesn't get much notice while a random shot gets an unexpected surge of attention because people will be actively searching for 'Sony RX100 Example' as opposed to just coming across it if the same shot had a different name or sets of keywords.

I tend to look from a more positive perspective, it might be how our furry friends see the world, and yes, I mean wolves.
The notion of seeing the world from the perspective of wolves made me think of movie Wolfen from the 80's. 🐕 A bit of a rare movie in that it was a horror movie set in an urban environment with native Americans as a central point of focus.

A point which could be a whole conversation on it's own, the impact of SEO when it comes to photography. You give a perfect example where a shot that might be expected to be more popular, 'Stormy Ocean', doesn't get much notice while a random shot gets an unexpected surge of attention because people will be actively searching for 'Sony RX100 Example' as opposed to just coming across it if the same shot had a different name or sets of keywords.

The notion of seeing the world from the perspective of wolves made me think of movie Wolfen from the 80's. 🐕 A bit of a rare movie in that it was a horror movie set in an urban environment with native Americans as a central point of focus.
Unless you have a massive word of mouth following on Flickr, keywords are the, ahem, key to getting views. And choosing the right groups. For example, the Macro Mondays group is really busy, and you will find that Explore on a Tuesday is full of macro shots. Of course, birds remain remarkably popular on Flickr too. And trains. And Lego.

Maybe the algorithm just likes photos of grasses...

This randomly turned into my most viewed/favorited photo a few months ago - never added it into any groups or tagged it with anything :)

47947841273_cd919db0cd_b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
lunchtime snap by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 207161

Back