Fuji Can I use the same UV filter on XF35 as on XF18?

Ramirez

Regular
Before I travel all these long miles after my X100S and XF35 this incoming Tuesday...

I'm wondering: can I use the same UV filter as I used on the XF18 on the XF35? (As I'm going to trade in the XF18 for the XF35.) I would like to save some of my money in not having to buy another UV filter.

You can use the same filter, yep. However, a UV-filter will degrade image quality without really protecting anything. The glass in the filter is actually quite brittle, and it shatters easily. If it does, it will blast the front element of your lens with small, sharp glass shards which will leave scratches and marks on the front element. Having a UV filter on the lens is actually worse than not having any, in most cases.

The hood is a much better option for protecting the lens. The front element can take a lot more than you might think as well. UV filters are often recommended by camera stores, and that's mostly because they sell them with a very high markup.

Fellas - the OP only asked if they would fit, not wether or not one should use a UV filter. Some folks always do, some never do and some do some of the time - it is personal choice.

As the OP has got several good and correct answers to the question, I don't see the harm in elaborating on the subject of UV filters? It's true that it's a personal choice, but a lot of people use them because the guy in the camera store told them to, instead of pointing out the problems with the UV filters.

Back