Fuji Can we live with the ORB ?

hsw21

Hi Guys,
Im thinking to get a used X10, but have concern about the ORB issue (yes I know Im way too late for this, but I have never have interest for X10 before or any other camera besides DSLR).
So, I have two questions for you Guys:
Suppose I got a used one and it has the ORB issue, is it really unusable ?
And if I want to have it fixed, does Fuji still doing it ?

Thanks in advanced Guys....

I have an X10...no orbs. It's a later serial number. I would imagine that new X10's that you can buy now no longer have the orb problem. I can't speak to usability but the images I have seen that show it seem to indicate that the orbs manifest themselves under a specific set of circumstances (much like the red ring in Olympus E-PL2's).

FWIW I LOVE my X10;

I have an X10...no orbs. It's a later serial number. I would imagine that new X10's that you can buy now no longer have the orb problem. I can't speak to usability but the images I have seen that show it seem to indicate that the orbs manifest themselves under a specific set of circumstances (much like the red ring in Olympus E-PL2's).

FWIW I really like my X10.

https://www.photographerslounge.org/f63/x10-x-perimentation-15392/
https://www.photographerslounge.org/f16/score-one-fun-use-15736/

I've had two X-10s, one with orbs and one without. The orbs were very rarely a problem for me in daylight, but I did find them every now and then in shots with strong reflections. But I'd say out od a few thousand shots, I only had them really ruin a daylight shot once or twice. I had other shots with orbs, but you really had to look for them to see them, so I didn't consider them much of a problem for daytime shooting.

For night shooing in urban areas (or anywhere with strong light sources), they were a real problem. Oncoming headlights, street lights, strong lights in shops or shop windows, you could find them easily. Some were small and inconsequential, but plenty were large and obvious and really disruptive. I could never trust this camera as a low light shooter for that reason.

That was the first one. The second one was post-orb with the new sensor and I didn't have a single problem with that camera. So if you only shoot in daylight, I wouldn't worry about it. If you like shooting in low light, particularly in situations with strong light sources, I'd make real sure you get one with a high serial number that's orb-free.

-Ray

Mine had the sensor replacement before I bought it used, though the work order received by the original owner said something about a "shutter assembly" repair. I don't know the reason for that; perhaps the sensor and shutter assembly are intimately connected. Certainly the silent mode, utilizing (I think) and electronic shutter would involve the sensor.

I tried to produce orbs and cannot, so it's fixed on my X10. I can tell you it's a great camera.

If you are buying used, ask the owner to shoot it into a light bulb in a dim room and email you the jpeg. If it's going to produce orbs that should show them, at least from what I've read. Ask him to shoot outside, pointing to a body of water; I've seen online examples of them in that situation too.

Once you're sure the camera you are buying doesn not have the issue (and that you can return it if you discover it does in your own testing) go for it. It's a wonderful little machine, and with the X20 about to arrive there will soon be many on the market at decent prices.

Hmmm. thanks for all the responses..
Im gonna buy used, but my assumption is you cant know if its ORB free or not just by serial number before certain number, right ? Thats why I asked if I just risk it buying used one and later on found out it has ORB problem, if its really a problem.
Hmm you Guys know what the serial number starts with, for the one that already has a fix ?
And lets say it has ORB issue, can Fuji still fix it ? (I know the free fix is over, but can we do pay fix maybe ?
Thanks.

Or maybe I should wait till market got flooded with used X10 ? Im sure itll be easier to pick one without ORB issue ?
I want this camera just for fun, traveling for example and whatever family/friends picture taking opportunity, so Im OK staying with used X10, the cheaper the better too..

There will be more used X10's in the market soon enough.

I have a "with orb" X10 (currently on loan to dad), but it never bothered me at all. Orbs showed up on a few long exposure night time photos, but only after I read about the "problem" and then went through my photos looking for orbs.

Back