Leica Can we really generalize from our own lens tests?

dante

Rookie
My 1950 KMZ J-3's are sharper than the Nikkor. I'll compare my Nikkor 5cm F1.4 with the new J-3.

This actually raises a good question - not in the least reinforced by the excellence of the J-3 you built for me: what exactly is the right frame of reference for comparisons in the digital age? Even among lenses that are already out there, it seems there is a lot of latitude that could be affecting comparisons in a way that makes one-off comparisons largely unreliable predictors of what happens when you buy the next sample of a pre-digital lens: factory variances, questionable service histories, mid-2000s re-collimations (pretty endemic with the rise of the digital Ms), factory-endorsed variances (the two major optimizations of a C-Sonnar), and the FSU units that have had the Sweeney lead-to-gold treatment.

The companion question is exactly what type of testing method would allow one to abstract from one example of a lens to all of them. I looked at the mossy-knoll test pictures for the various Sonnars, and now understanding that they were not shot with an EVF, that raises the question of whether the variation we are seeing is actually the lens or the lens' interaction with the camera's register and rangefinder (the former not apparently being identical between an M8, an M240, and an M246). They are all quite close. This is my personal feeling, but I would not make any life-altering conclusions about the subtleties of those test pictures without normalizing them by EVF focusing all of them on a high-contrast target in-frame. A closed focusing loop, I think, is critical for evaluating the optics. How you can reliably focus on a closed loop presents its own question, since with the M it still requires reliance on magnification or focus peaking.

It's certainly valid to test the system performance (focusing with the mechanical parts), provided that you have enough of a sample to establish that both the camera and lens are not fliers (being good or bad). But this, I suspect, should always be secondary to normalized optical tests, since it is possible to tweak the master focus, focal length, and RF cam of pretty much any lens in a way that substantially (if not completely) replicates the "best" performance of the glass, at least at some range of distances.

LTM adapters are also something that tend not to get normalized - I don't really having seen any test in the past 20 years in which someone factored the quality of the adapter into an evaluation of a lens. I have now measured out dozens of these, and even with a non-indexed 50mm lens, the ones on the thicker end can be capable of preventing proper infinity focus (as in not really focusing optically to infinity). Parallelism of the front and back faces also poses at least a theoretical factor to consider (I did not observe anything being off more than a few 1/10,000" around the circumference, but that is not to say that the threads are always drilled straight, either - I've now seen situations where two adapters with the same thickness behave differently).

I don't know if there is a concrete suggestion in all of this except that we have probably all been oversimplifying the fight between optical good and optical evil. I know I've been doing it.

Dante

The end test is "do I like the results that this lens produces". Sharp is somewhat easy- I try to use an object with some depth to it. My fence posts and fence slats have been photographed with hundreds of lenses. I use it for the "fudge factor" of setting the shim on a lens when I get as close as possible with the TTL viewer. I set the shim for center of the image, but will ask which camera it is to be used on.

With a Sonnar, set for the center and wide-open- something will always be in focus and something will always be out of focus. Stop down to F4- it will all be out-of-focus.

21142500073_f1a8858999_o.jpg
astig5
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

If the lens is for a Monochrome camera- I use an Orange filter to set the shim.
Focus shift for longitudinal chromatic aberration is greater than focus shift for spherical aberration.

21751889362_947be040e4_o.jpg
leica_a
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Between the two mechanisms that produce focus shift: I have some lenses set up for best stopped down 1 F-Stop on the M9 that are perfect on the M Monochrom with an Orange filter.

I've got most of the results stored on Disk. Try to get a feel for field curvature, Pixel-Peep along the lines of best focus produced by the lens, "eyeball" sections that are similar for resolution. These are all non-scientific tests, but much more fun and tend to give insight into the character of the lens. With the 1950 KMZ Jupiter-3: I repositioned the rear triplet to get a reasonable field curvature and to be able to keep focus from 0.75m to infinity. For LTM adapters: I've found the Cosina/Voigtlander adapters to be the most reliable, and I use them for testing lenses. When someone wants a lens adjusted for an M, I often ask them to include the specific adapter that they use.

I'll try for some test shots like this one taken with the Nikkor 13.5cm F4, wide-open. This is a rare lens, and was spot-on with my M Monochrom with an Orange filter. It's resolution is pushing that of the detector.

15262026255_e74ea0d5a0_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Nikkor 13.5cm F4 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

15075460747_1b5d328417_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Nikkor 13.5cm F4 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

"Way back When, 30+ years ago" I wrote software to generate "Confidence Integrals" for radiometrically calibrated image data from mid-wave and long-wave digital sensors that we built. I did the data acquisition system and wrote the image processing and image display code for the sensors. We went through all the formal tests in an optics lab. That was fun, I love writing code. But it did not tell you if you liked a lens or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5, the lens that got the attention of the World

I've made a number of day trips with 2 or 3 lenses in a bag to make unscientific comparisons between lenses. In the above, I took a 1943 CZJ 5cm F1.5 and Nikkor 5cm F1.5 to the Marine Museum at Quantico. The images from the Zeiss lens just appear sharper to my eyes, even in the down-sampled images. Pixel-Peeping at full-res, the differences were apparent- the Zeiss lens was sharper and had better flatness of field to them. On another occasion, I took the Nikkor 5cm F1.4 and Nikkor 5cm F1.5 to the Udvar Hazy Museum along with the M9 and M Monochrom. Pixel-Peeing, both appeared about equal in sharpness. I read recently that David Douglas Duncan preferred the F1.5 over the F1.4.

Nikkor 5cm F1.5 in Leica Mount

Nikkor 5cm F1.4, Early, Leica mount

1936 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, Uncoated

1943 Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar T 5cm F1.5

Gives me an excuse to go to some of the same places more often. Museums are good for lens comparisons as the subjects hold their poses.

I used software written in the 1980s as the base code for my DNG processor for the M8, M9, and M Monochrom. Within that code is a mixed-Radix FFT routine and other routines that generate scene metrics. If someone were to ask "which lens is sharper" my approach would be to run the FFT and look for high frequency content. Which is why I left the routine in the DNG processor. My Panasonic CF-50 has 768MBytes of memory and my Celeron 2.4Ghz has 1GByte of memory. Plenty as the software runs under Phar-Lap extended DOS. It would be best to use the M Monochrom only to avoid demosaic issues.

Back