Fuji Can you carry an XE1 (or X100) NOT on a neck strap?

wt21

Hall of Famer
How do you carry an XE1 (or X100) without a neck strap?

I am not a leather case/neck strap kind of guy. I prefer my cameras in my pocket (EPL5) or on a sling strap (5D), and some variations thereof. In the summer, without jacket pockets and on vacation, I'll also carry a Domke 5xB for the EPL5 with a couple more lenses.

How do you carry your XE1 (or X100)? I don't like cameras bouncing off my chest, so wondering about how others are doing it.

I use a camera strap across my body where it doesn't bounce and can be brought up to my eye... I'm about 5' 8" tall. The Artist and Artisan cloth straps are very light, comfortable and double very nicely as a wrist strap when needed and the pure cloth ones fold up to be quite compact, too.

Thanks BB. Is it one where it's kind of like a neck strap, but instead of just around your neck, it's around your neck and one arm, so the camera is at your hip to the side?

I'm using the wii strap, and it works. I don't feel like the camera is too heavy for it. Similar to Amin, I expect it's going to be in the bag when not in use. This is also how I do it even with the much smaller E-PL3.

X100 here. I love the look and feel of the Gordy wrist strap, but with the WCL-X100 attached 100% of the time, it's just a little too unwieldy to have hanging from my wrist. I find that it's great when I'm shooting but if I want to do anything else with my right hand (open a door, reach for my wallet, drink water) the dangling camera is too much of an inconvenience.

I am trying out an op/tech compact sling and I really like it so far, with a few modifications like a tripod mounted attachment point and some quick-release hardware.

Thanks BB. Is it one where it's kind of like a neck strap, but instead of just around your neck, it's around your neck and one arm, so the camera is at your hip to the side?

It's a neck strap and it hits me above my hip, more near my waste...obviously can't do this with my LL Bean Baxter State down jacket on, though.:biggrin_old: I wear my camera inside my down jacket and it doesn't bounce around...but in the summer/fall/spring it's cross body but easily wound around one's wrist if one wants. Here's a page from Steve Huff's blog Straps | Steve Huff Photo that show a variety of straps...and if you scroll down you'll see a photo with a Leica and the X100 with an A&A strap. Not cheap but not too bad if you get them at the right moment. I think I bought mine on Popflash when suddenly the one I wanted was somewhat discounted.

Black Rapid Snapr 35.

I use it without the bag.

It's a much less beefy version of the typical Black Rapid straps intended for full size DSLRs.

These are the straps I have/had ... and unfortunately, I'm not too happy with any of them.

I recently tried a Joby Ultra Fit Sling Strap. I did not like it at all. The strap keeps extending as I'm walking. The only way to prevent extension is to lock it, which makes pulling the camera up to take a photo much more cumbersome. Even with the lock, the camera does not stay put against the "back" as the demo videos show. The shoulder pad does not have enough traction. So the weight of the camera pulls the camera down to the lowest point possible, which is right next to the arm. So my arm bumps into the camera as I'm walking. Very disappointed and it's going back today.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893352-REG/Joby_jb01257_bam_Ultra_Fit_Sling_Strap.html

I have a Street Strap, the poor man's version of the Artisan & Artist silk camera strap. I wish it was a bit longer so that I can wear it like a sling strap. I'm about 5'11".

Amazon.com : Street Strap - 46 inches Soft Round Camera Strap for Leica, Micro 4/3, Fuji Cameras with Round Rings : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Camera & Photo

Another strap I still have is the Barton 1972 Composer. It's an all leather strap, but like the Street Strap, I wish it was a bit longer. The area of the straps with the rings that come into contact with the camera are also a little bulky. So it gets in the way of my right hand as I'm holding the camera.

Barton 1972® - Leather Camera Strap | Original Braided Strap | Camera Neck Strap | Camera Wrist Strap | Leather Neck Strap | Leather Wrist Strap | Leather Camera Straps | DSLR camera strap | Leica Camera Strap | Leather Strap

I owned at one time is the Gordy's adjustable leather strap. I didn't like it, because the leather was hard and had rough edges. I'm sure it'll wear down with time, but my neck didn't care for the feel. And the strap also got in the way of my right hand as I'm trying to hold the camera.

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/adjustable-neck-horiz/index.htm

Last but not least is the Black Rapid RS7. It's a sling strap, and pretty comfortable. The camera sits at the lowest point due to gravity, which is going to be right between the arm and the body. But it's easier to pull up towards the face than the Joby. It's bulkier looking than the Joby, and uses a carabiner to hold the camera. Still not the perfect strap for me, but comes the closest. I still have this strap, but don't use it very often, because of the bulk.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/661579-REG/Black_Rapid_RS7_1BB_RS_7_Camera_Strap.html

So after all that, I pretty much use a $8 neoprene wrist strap most of the time!! I just leave my camera in the messenger bag (Billingham Hadley Pro), and pull it out whenever I need it.

Amazon.com : OP/TECH USA 1801021 Cam Strap - QD (Black) : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Electronics

I used to use wrist straps on all of my cameras but now I am either using an A&A cloth or Luigi leather neck strap. I rarely ever put the camera around my neck, most of the time I just wrap the neck strap around my wrist and carry the camera in my hand. Which is why I only use soft neck straps without pads. When I used just wrist straps I found there were those times when I did not have a case or bag for the camera with me and I had to do something that involved both hands it was just more secure at those moments to just put the camera around my neck. Many times being versatile works out better than being specific.

I've been carrying the X100 and X10 with me recently as a shooting pair. I consider the X100 to be my "planned/deliberate photo" choice, and I keep it on the neck strap (although I'm looking for a more comfortable one than Fuji provides. The X10 is my "grab a shot" choice, and it resides on a wrist strap. If I were to go out with only the X100, I'd probably opt for something like the OpTech Compact Sling recommended earlier in this thread. As a matter of fact, that one is on order. For $8.65, I don't have to do a lot of agonizing over whether to give it a go!

Which bags are you guys using? Shoulder type?

I've got a few bags, but my favorite one is a shoulder type - Tamrac Aria 6. It's super light, slim, padded enough, water resistant, no noisy velcro, and even room for a tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

My X100 and X E1 fit nicely in my Hadley Small with an extra lens in the front pouch and extra batteries and cards in the other front pouch. I also have either a small tripod or IPad across the back of the bag.
I only use Gordy's wrist straps.

X-100 is great with a wrist strap.

attachment.php

Bill, you can carry it however you like. Regular neck/shoulder straps work fine, Sling straps work fine, wrist straps work fine. When I used to take JUST the X100, I'd often take it in and Black Rapid SnapR case/sling combo, where it was essentially on a sling strap, but one end of the sling had a little case attached that would protect the camera when I wasn't using it and had a couple of small pockets for extra batteries and/or whatever. It was a wonderful solution when It was just that camera. These days my X-Pro and OMD are on standard neck straps that I wear sling style when I'm not shooting and then pull my arm out of the way when I want to shoot. My smaller cameras are on wrist straps and either travel in a pocket or a small case, depending whether they're flying solo or not.

One exception / word of warning that applies to the X-Pro but not the X100 (not sure about the XE1). The tripod socket is located VERY close to the battery and SD door on the X-Pro, so any sling stap that attaches via the tripod socket could be problematic - the attachment will block you from opening the door easily, so you'd have to remove the strap before changing a battery or removing/replacing an SD card. So I never use sling straps with the X-Pro. I never had that problem with the X100. My guess is that the XE1 would be closer to the X-Pro but this is totally a guess - I have no idea really.

-Ray

I'm like the OP, don't care for neck straps. When I just have the X100 with me, I have a National Geographic 1212 pouch on my belt. That's where the camera goes when I'm mainly doing other things. Snug fit, you might need something a little larger for your X-E1.

When I'm mainly shooting, I have a wrist strap on the left side, round my left hand. That leaves my right hand free for other things.

Back