Can you tell the difference?

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Four shots, two cameras (one small sensor, one larger sensor), same location, all taken within 10 minutes of each other.

Which do you think is the larger sensor and which is the smaller sensor? Further, if you care to, give your reasons why.

A.

A_DXO_medium.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

B.

B_DxO_Medium_.jpg

C.

C_DxO_Medium_.jpg

D.

D_DxO-1_Medium_.jpg

No fair peeking at the metadata.

One of them appears to be a dead giveaway to me, but the others?

Cheers, Jock

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew it was you, Jock.

TBH, I dont think anyone can possibly say with absolute certainty about *any* shot, whether it was taken with a large or small sensor, without having the full size shot to gaze at pixels. On the innanet, anything else is guesswork. And... why bother. Lets just appreciate shots for what they are. Of this crop, I like the first, for no particular reason. It simply appeals.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew it was you, Jock.

TBH, I dont think anyone can possibly say with absolute certainty about *any* shot, whether it was taken with a large or small sensor, without having the full size shot to gaze at pixels. On the innanet, anything else is guesswork. And... why bother. Lets just appreciate shots for what they are. Of this crop, I like the first, for no particular reason. It simply appeals.

Thanks, Sue.

The reason for asking the question was to see if if the difference in sensor was readily apparent to anyone. It sure wasn't to me, but I thought that more experienced, wiser eyes might pick something up.

I thought B might be a dead giveaway because of the focal length.

Cheers, Jock

A looks very noisy as does D

did you take them all at the same ISO

there is not enough contrast in C if it is an FX sensor

Added later: not sure that there is anything in B, but less noise in the sky

whatever has been used Jock, they don't seem suitable for this type of shot, IMHO

so to me A and D look to be from the same sensor because of the noise, (artefacts type) in the sky

Back