Canal - Does this look too processed?

I don't think it looks over processed Andy, it looks as though it was a gorgeous day. Were you thinking about the highlights on the river? My guess is that this is what that scene looked like - it was an incredible, blue sky perfect day!

It was a wonderful day but a bit windy!! This image has not had much PP at all and very little sharpening. The G3 seems to do most of the work in camera. I'm really falling for the G3 in a big way!!

I'll post the rest of the days images up later.

Thanks

hmm .. the water surface looks perfect, I just wonder a little about how much you might have held the darks/shadows back in the meadow and trees on the right (given it's a bright day and with the sun high), plus the brightness of the grass on the left bank seems mildly odd ... on the other hand, we might be seeing the penumbra of a cloud edge moving in, so who's to say?

do you like it? are you happy with it? if so, then it's fine!

ha ... i posted before i'd seen your last comment Andy ... just goes to show ...

hmm .. the water surface looks perfect, I just wonder a little about how much you might have held the darks/shadows back in the meadow and trees on the right (given it's a bright day and with the sun high), plus the brightness of the grass on the left bank seems mildly odd ... on the other hand, we might be seeing the penumbra of a cloud edge moving in, so who's to say?

do you like it? are you happy with it? if so, then it's fine!

ha ... i posted before i'd seen your last comment Andy ... just goes to show ...

He he, You gotta be quick round here!!

The grass on the left is brown and is not the normal green grass, it's much taller. The dark areas have been lightened a bit but with Jpg's it's easy to go too far.

Yes I'm happy with it, I just thought it looked a tiny bit over done?

You know, Andy, I suppose you could post this over in the Photo Critique section where more people might see this as that kind of thread. I'm sure you've played around with the highlight and light curves...etc., to see how things might change. And the same with the sharpening... I know recently you'd posted about a different method of sharpening which, truth be told, I didn't completely understand...perhaps because I don't have the same software...

As Paul says, if you feel right about the photograph - keep it. If you're still wavering sometimes leaving it and not even looking at it for a few days can make a difference. Heck, I recently redid a picture from last year and think it looks even better than before.

It's a very nice shot. Only thing I'd suggest is use a CPL to help with the reflections off the water. I'd be curious to see the original. Overall, looks good to me.

To add still more confusion in, I've just looked at this on my uncalibrated work monitor (a cheap Dell) and the grass that looked odd on my (calibrated) laptop screen now looks absolutely perfect ...

It's a very nice shot. Only thing I'd suggest is use a CPL to help with the reflections off the water. I'd be curious to see the original. Overall, looks good to me.

I was kicking myself as i left the CPL in the caravan where we were staying!!!! I was not happy as it really would have helped. I'll know next time!!!

Thanks everyone. I'll post more stuff up on my flickr.

:2thumbs:

Looks fine to me. Then again, I often pump saturation beyond all recognition, so I am perhaps not the best judge! But on my monitor it looks normal, perhaps just a touch more saturation and contrast than a 'faithful' image.

Back