Film Canon A-1

Like mine a lot :2thumbs:

CANON A1 28_07_2015-00042.jpg

Canon A1, FD 1:2.8/24, Agfa Vista Plus 200

Lovely pictures! While I really love my Olympus OM1, I would also like to use a film camera that has aperture priority, and I like that the Canon A1 has all three (ASM).

Lovely pictures! While I really love my Olympus OM1, I would also like to use a film camera that has aperture priority, and I like that the Canon A1 has all three (ASM).

A-1 is a great camera. If you have OM lenses, I really like my OM-2N as well. Small body, big viewfinder, needle meter reading.

A-1 is a great camera. If you have OM lenses, I really like my OM-2N as well. Small body, big viewfinder, needle meter reading.

I agree, as the OM2 is also aperture priority able, but the issue is trying to find one LOL. Is it just me or have film cameras suddenly spiked up in prices? Locally, there are a couple OM2s going for $600 Cdn., yikes! I answered a few ads for the Canon A1, more reasonably priced at $200 :).

I have a question (since I know very little about film cameras), if you see brass looking areas on a camera, is this ok? I see a Canon A1 locally, and it has this brass look in a couple of places, around the shutter button. I gather this just means he paint has worn off and metal/polycarbonate is showing through?

A lot of people like the brassing, sort of gives the camera character.

600 Cdn. (around 480 US) sounds like an awful lot for an OM2, unless in an original box that's never been opened! On eBay many can be found for around $100 US.

In an earlier post you mentioned the battery in your new OM1. If you haven't already found out, the original battery was a px625 1.35V mercury cell that is no longer available. There are several alternatives, such as the Wein cell, hearing aide batteries, or the MR9 converter. I use the MR9, and while it's a bit pricy, you only have to buy it once.

BV

I have a question (since I know very little about film cameras), if you see brass looking areas on a camera, is this ok? I see a Canon A1 locally, and it has this brass look in a couple of places, around the shutter button. I gather this just means he paint has worn off and metal/polycarbonate is showing through?

Let me know if you're ever in Vancouver. I can sell you my OM-2N for 200. :)

A lot of people like the brassing, sort of gives the camera character.

600 Cdn. (around 480 US) sounds like an awful lot for an OM2, unless in an original box that's never been opened! On eBay many can be found for around $100 US.

In an earlier post you mentioned the battery in your new OM1. If you haven't already found out, the original battery was a px625 1.35V mercury cell that is no longer available. There are several alternatives, such as the Wein cell, hearing aide batteries, or the MR9 converter. I use the MR9, and while it's a bit pricy, you only have to buy it once.

BV
I know it is very high! Thanks so much for the battery information for the OM1, I will investigate the MR9 option. The battery in there at the moment is working and I forgot to ask the seller about it. I just hope it is working accurately, I guess I'll find out when I have the film developed. LOL! It's a very good learning experience, as it has taught me even more in the short time I have been using it. Although, with something aperture priority, it's just one less thing to think about :). I enjoying film cameras immensely LOL!

Ok, I finally got a battery for the A1, and tried it, the shutter squeaks! There are a number of good videos on YT on how to oil the sqeaky mechanism, I am fairly mechanical (I maintain my own knitting machines) but I am a little afraid as cameras are not knitting machines LOL!

Back