News Canon CSC -- maybe not?

wt21

Hall of Famer
I've always wondered (hoped) that Canon might release a CSC, but after being disappointed with hoping for Canon upgrades that I wanted, I've since moved completely off Canon.

This little view into the Canon roadmap makes me think their strategic direction is not CSC, but high end and video. There's really not much here in the consumer side of things outside the G series and IXUS.

A Little Canon Roadmap « Canon Rumors

Just this morning I was thinking about my little Canon Elph and kind of wishing for a new iteration with an APS-C in a small package. Thanks for the link even though it's not showing a roadmap that I'll be following.

I think Canon sees the G series as the small camera.
Thats not a bad way to look at things either. The G's are great cameras. Personally I don't see any advantage for Canon to move in any other direction. Maybe an evil G is in the works.
That would be a camera.

If they did a fixed lens G series with an APS-C sensor (no idea if this is possible -- just dreaming), that'd be wonderful. It wouldn't threaten their DSLR business, and would be very welcome to Canon shooters. I think they have to do something now that Nikon has released the V/N1. Maybe they do a G series with a 2/3 sensor. I think we'll know by next summer at the latest, at any rate.

Well, the G series body could hold a larger sensor. They could kill that OVF that no one uses and get space. A larger sensor would also mean larger lenses. Yuchi!
I'm sure they have considered something like this train of thought. I still love my war torn G9 more then any camera I have ever owned...well digicams, not film.

The lens in the G9 is better than most kit lenses as far as contrast & resolution goes. I still have it, I still love it but it's my wife's camera now. She took it to Latvia and Russia for a month. She made 426 exposures and never charged the battery. Jpegs use almost no power in the G9.
Anyway, it's a pipe dream but a darn good one.

I highly recommend everyone try a G series for a spell just to see what a camera can do, then get the high faluting X100's, GXR's, LX5 etc....
It's a real wake up call.

PS... Don't ever use macro with a G9. You'll never ever sell it!

Thanks for posting the roadmap. Yeah, it looks pretty sparse for CSC. I guess it is possible this was a public roadmap, but they are holding the CSC close to the chest (no pictures) until Photokina (spring?).

I was also really thinking we would see a CSC from them in 2012 based on their statements.

Back