Canon EOS-M Mirrorless Digital Camera with EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens

One of the posters in another forum I hang out on insists that Canon is well behind the times with its sensors. I dont know if thats the case, but it could explain this. He says Canon continues to use sensor tech it was using 5-6 years ago.
I've heard similar things, and indeed that might be an explanation...

This commercial is on TV here all the time. I live in a camera-rich location and I've yet to see a person with an EOS M.

[video=youtube;t3FyQQKWuvY]

One of the posters in another forum I hang out on insists that Canon is well behind the times with its sensors. I dont know if thats the case, but it could explain this. He says Canon continues to use sensor tech it was using 5-6 years ago.

I agree. Canon was on top of the world with its CMOS sensor. Then Canon slowed down with its improvemenys and now seems to be standing still. I am glad I've moved on to Olympus and Fuji.

Gary

My next purchase is a Canon........AE-1. Just looking for one that speaks to me.

Why? If you want an old camera that will speak to you ... pick up a Nikon F. The stories it could tell. For an entire decade, from the mid-60's to the mid '70's, for nearly every single news story in the world ... a Nikon F was there. From Olympics to famine, from jungle wars to inaugurations, fires to floods, race riots to Super Bowls, desert wars to cold wars, space to the deepest oceans ... a Nikon F was there.

Gary

My next purchase is a Canon........AE-1. Just looking for one that speaks to me.

I've had three offered to me, first was for like 100$ with a few third party lenses but it was pretty 'used', second was my cousins she used in photography school but at the time it seemed to daunting to take on so I didn't and the third was a co-worker of my husband's, he was going to give it to me and my hubby said I wasn't interested?? Well then I was! Anyway.. that was the camera I had wanted when my kids were little and could not then afford. There are a lot of them so you will find the one that calls to you soon enough, good luck!

I've had two and have shot both: a Canon AE-1 and AE-1 Program. Currently only have the AE-1 Program.

The only real problem with those old Canon A series (other than the usual light seal and mirror bumper degradation all the old iron suffers) is the "shutter squeak". Kind of a high pitched grinding noise from the mirror box mechanism that slows shooting BUT DOES NOT affect the shutter timing. If you hear that, it's fixable with a long syringe and some light oil but it's not actually anything that will keep you from shooting.

Which is the better of the two, the AE-1 or the Program?

Very similar except for Program auto. Canon favored shutter priority auto at the time so they're pretty much P/S/M cameras (well, no P on the early AE-1). Mechanically, there's very little difference in the internals, if any. The Program model is a bit more electronic.

Most prefer the Program model.

I have also shot (and own) a Canon T-50 which is the Program mode of the AE-1 Program in a futuristic (then anyway) plastic body. It has only Program mode, lol. It's basically a point an shoot in a DSLR body with internal motor drive; but it does a great job because that old Program system wasn't bad at all.

I've seen a couple of the kits going for $350. If the lens had a bit more monetary value I would have jumped on it. However, considering the fact that you can buy them all day at $150, I feel like I'm paying too much for an almost useless body. A lot looks good on-paper, but the focusing reports are currently keeping me at bay from giving the camera an honest chance. Competition is good for everyone, so I do hope that Canon picks it up with the next iteration.

I've seen a couple of the kits going for $350. If the lens had a bit more monetary value I would have jumped on it. However, considering the fact that you can buy them all day at $150, I feel like I'm paying too much for an almost useless body. A lot looks good on-paper, but the focusing reports are currently keeping me at bay from giving the camera an honest chance. Competition is good for everyone, so I do hope that Canon picks it up with the next iteration.

The lens is really very good, like the 20mm f1.7 for IQ except 1/2 the price. I keep wanting to run away from the body+lens but the damn lens keep driving me back. I've used it enough now that the EOS M interface is fine....not as good as the touchscreen on a Panasonic body but better (for me) then an Olympus EPM-2.

Back