Canon Canon EOS-M Officially Announced

This looks completely uninteresting to me, but then again, it is obviously not aimed at enthusiasts. Looks too conservative - perhaps designed by a committee who asked a random group of people what they want in a camera. This looks more like a response to the dying P&S than the threat of mirrorless. Yawn.

Oh really? I'd say being bored with the Canikons made for the mainstream mass market is a healthy sign. ;)

;) I am by no means a Canon hater, I have loved my little XSi and my macro lenses. There just isn't that quality of glass on a compact camera and close-up capabilities on some of them while nice in a pinch is not good enough for me given the frequency I shoot like that. But.. the cake and eat it too of small with serious quality glass at a price I can afford to boot is not going to happen so I've just stopped getting excited. Plus that little EOS M, while it does come with lens etc [hate the 18-55 kit lens for my dslr btw], is as much as the new t4i. Add in the EF adapter, which I would, and it's a grand. Average Joe(sie) here can not afford.. and as for mainstream most of it is out of Japan whatever the name.

I will keep my thumbs up that someone.. will create the right stuff though :)

Not really. Keep in mind that the people doing those first impressions and reviews are mere mortals, too. It's always subjective, and the first impressions depend heavily on the conditions. You really shouldn't make any kind of conclusion yet, based on the very first press release impressions alone. Especially ones (apparently) based on pre-production models and non-final firmware.

None of those reviewers have had a chance to do a proper in-depth review yet, and their comments are based on a few minutes playing with it in some typical hotel function room or company showroom. Whilst one reviewer is trying the AF merely by shuffling the focus point between several fixed, well lit and high contrast targets, like the Canon gear on the table, another reviewer may be trying it on moving targets further away, like fellow members of the media in dim lighting conditions, which will most certainly result to very different first impressions. Typical CAF can be fast, but unreliable. Apparently the camera has a typical CAF system. (edit: apparently the camera does have the in-sensor PAF, after all, the same introduced in the latest EOS DSLR)
I'm not sure which lens is attached in that Italian video but, looked like the subject was relatively close, and it looked more like typical CAF hunt within close enough distance, rather than slow AF in general.

The problem is that the best CDAF systems today are very, very good in a variety of conditions. If the pre-production cameras had impressive autofocus speed then we would have seen evidence of it in the videos posted so far. The only hope is that there is a lot left to gain in the final production models, but if that is the case then Canon has done themselves no favours by handing over such underdone prototypes to the press.

Here is why, as a 35mm shooter, I'm still rather excited about the EOS-M as a system:

Compact Camera Meter

It's a little better with the 16 on the NEX:

Compact Camera Meter

but i know what you mean. The EOS-M is pretty compact, and if needed you could attach your DSLR lenses with full functionality.
The big advantage vs. NEX will be that Canon can knock out new lenses a lot faster than Sony. You get a APS-C sensor and a nice f2 pancake in a package the size of the X10.

The lenses are so huge, but then even on a full frame body when the lenses get that big you are using a tripod and a lens mount.. still on the far side of the fence though.

What the EOS-M looks like with all the available lenses attached.

[Review] Next EOS M Reviews And Hands-On Round-Up | CanonWatch

Ha, nice find!

Once Canon proves that their hybrid AF system can actually focus any of those lenses at a reasonable speed this demonstration may be a bit more relevant. So far I'm getting the impression that Canon will try to push the idea of the backwards compatibility of the EOS M more than any of the other mirrorless manufacturers have done so far.

There is some merit to pushing backwards compatibility. Seriously from what it sounds like that thing is comparable to the 4ti, only smaller. So for those that want a carry around that they can opt to occasionally put an eos lens on it's great. Stats outperform my xsi and having lenses could seal the deal if it's capable.

There is, although the experience from Micro 4/3 is that adapting the 4/3 DSLR lenses only had a brief period of popularity when there was a smaller choice in native lenses. It hardly gets a mention now. Adapting EF and EF-S lenses has been a huge talking point in the Canon forums like POTN, and I'm curious to see if the enthusiasm lasts amongst new EOS M owners once the cameras hit the street.

This display is SO Canon. "We're a big company and we can pump lenses out faster than anyone else". I'd just like to know what all that equipment costs. I'm happy to see Canon enter the CSC/MILC market because it ups the competition all around. I'm not a Canon fan at all, but this will shift some R&D funds into smaller systems.

There is, although the experience from Micro 4/3 is that adapting the 4/3 DSLR lenses only had a brief period of popularity when there was a smaller choice in native lenses. It hardly gets a mention now. Adapting EF and EF-S lenses has been a huge talking point in the Canon forums like POTN, and I'm curious to see if the enthusiasm lasts amongst new EOS M owners once the cameras hit the street.

Canon has a huge number of huge EOS EF lenses out there, that is my problem, but an even bigger problem for Canon. They can either continue and pretend that dlsr cameras will continue forever or start yet another size-range of lenses on a new mount and hope that their EF users will continue to use their lenses forever on dslr bodies. No bad thing at the moment but eventually someone with a dslr and EOS EF lens will start to have the street presence of a plate glass camera and light cloth.

So they start a new generation off on a nice but fairly lightweight EVIL-type camera and hope that by the time they are wealthy enough to afford a semi-professional camera that they will have kept up a supply of new lenses for this mount to keep them happy. Therefore look forward to the EOS EF lenses being obsoleted in time (horror). But a long time for sure, not going to over-worry me but maybe it should worry those that are considering setting up a stock of EOS EF lenses today?

A high performance semi-professional (largish) EVIL-type body from Canon with a high resolution, high performing evf would properly set the cat amongst the pigeons. I want one. Maybe too many would want one and the rest of the dslr offerings would get very shaky.

Back