Canon Canon EOS-M

At one time I thought I'd buy one with an EF-M adapter and a T/S 17mm to get back a setup like the Nikon F3 and PC-Nikkor 28/4. However, that combo alone would almost weigh as much as the rest of my µ4/3 gear and take up a lot of space in my bag, so maybe not. Now if I could get my hands on the B.I.G. 15/4.5 shift lens to try it out...

Heh. I never really needed a bridge between larger systems and small cameras before, since DSLR was theoretically some of the smaller systems I'd been using.

So if I were to turn to the mirrorless systems the Canon-M would be the only logical choice. That's why I'm so tempted at the moment. It's quite reasonably priced too.

I am waiting to see what Canon does with the M system next. I want to know that it is competing for "best in class" instead of possibly being an also-ran. I would also be looking for a more fully featured body than the one that has been released so far.

Heh. I never really needed a bridge between larger systems and small cameras before, since DSLR was theoretically some of the smaller systems I'd been using.

So if I were to turn to the mirrorless systems the Canon-M would be the only logical choice. That's why I'm so tempted at the moment. It's quite reasonably priced too.

It's tempting to me because I can use my current EF lenses or when I want something more purseable, the lens that comes with it. However wanting and being able to get are two different things and a mix blessing. Not being able to rush out as soon as something is available has saved me a lot of grief as well as given me time to change my mind and look at other things. Took me months to decide which little dslr. If you get one you are obligated to review it!

I would try it if the AF was good, but early reports show it to be weak, so I'll pass for now. Also, no evf option and no tilty screen

The temptation of the EOS-M is too strong. I'd gotten myself a kit 3 today.

eos-m+unbox_filtered+1+resized.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

eos-m+unbox+2_filtered+resized.jpg

Absolutely love the metallic red finish of the body and the compact 22mm lens.

eos-m+unbox+3_filtered.jpg

pancake+lens_filtered.jpg

Some test shots:

kara+no+kyoukai+resized.jpg

100% crop
kara+no+kyoukai+cropped.jpg

Other shots:

kagamin+miku+resized.jpg

kagamin+miku+2+resized.jpg

Will give it a better run when I can find the time. Heh.

Gave the camera a short spin today during the morning commute to work. Personally, the EOS-M doesn't really serve me well as a streetshooting camera. Touch-screen is really not that intuitive to this old-school shooter who usually does prefocused and adjusted hipshots or quick snaps. The ergonomic and the lack of dials make prefocusing kinda hard. Nonetheless, I love the big sensor and resolution that easily capture lots of details on wide angles.

commute_filtered+2+resized.jpg

Post-processing with EOS-M raws are awesome too. Exceptionally forgiving in pushing and pulling, post-processing is simply a joy. So much easier now to bring the images closer to what I'd envisage when I trigger the shot.

swirling+road_filtered+2+resized.jpg

The most frequent criticism I'd read thus far is on the slow auto-focus speed. Admittedly, the AF indoor is nothing to write home about. I mean, it doesn't really stack up to the 1D2 I'm usually go to when I do indoor shooting. However, it is quite serviceable and have not giving me much problem with the EF-M mount lenses. I'd yet to get my hands on the EF to EF-M converter yet. But I have a deep suspicion that I would really complain about the EOS-M focus speed with my selection of EF lenses (wide high speed prime).

CDTL+resized.jpg

Bottomline: the EOS-M is definitely not the primary camera I would go to, given that I have already developed habits and is in need of more controls that the camera doesn't really provide. However, it is definitely a highly serviceable day-to-day camera. I will be having a hard time thinking of whether to bring our my GRD or EOS-M now...

We have had it in store today and weirdly I find it fits my big hands with no problem. The 18-55 lens is very nice too! The battery was on charge so didn't get a chance to play with it but i'm expecting it to be pretty good with that big sensor.

Yar. I was quite surprise by how comfortable it feels in my big hands too. And I do like the jog-dial control controllable with the thumb while shooting. Superb for adjusting the aperture for Av mode on the fly.

eos-m+unbox+4_filtered+resized.jpg

I not in love with the 18-55 lens yet, but that's mostly due to my resistance to use zoom lenses much in the first place. Legs IMO are the best zoom than any lenses can ever provide. I do like the metallic build of both the pancake and the zoom lens though. Doesn't feel cheap in the slightest.

Thanks!

Anyway, had another walkaround with the camera. Sad to say, the criticism on the AF is definitely valid. Without the focusing marking on the lens, I'm having difficulty with pre-focusing for any proper street-shooting.

Nonetheless, I'm absolutely in love with the sensor. The quality of the shots are definitely comparable with the DSLRs on the pancake lens. Really can't wait for Canon to start selling the EF to EF-M mount converter for me to try out my array of lenses.

graffiti+v2_filtered+resized.jpg

viva+la+rubix+resized.jpg

graffiti+102+resized.jpg

Back