Canon Canon EOS-M

Thanks!

Anyway, had another walkaround with the camera. Sad to say, the criticism on the AF is definitely valid. Without the focusing marking on the lens, I'm having difficulty with pre-focusing for any proper street-shooting.

Nonetheless, I'm absolutely in love with the sensor. The quality of the shots are definitely comparable with the DSLRs on the pancake lens. Really can't wait for Canon to start selling the EF to EF-M mount converter for me to try out my array of lenses.

It does look very good, certainly what I would expect from a camera with the same APS-C sensor as Canon's current DSLRs.

You know it might be all of the new Sony sensors that score the big numbers in testing, but I won't be convinced that, except in extreme contrast where the extra DR of the Sonys will come to the fore, an equivalent Canon camera can't produce an image just as good. Even better, they will produce a different looking image (variety being a good thing, of course).

The Colors seem really good to me, congratulations!

The colour is easy to push somehow.

face+off+v2_filtered+resized.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Adam, I saw your photos on Flickr group — good stuff! I'm waiting for my EOS-M and really worry about slow focus. Is there any way to focus and re-compose like on DSLR? Thanks for all the info and your posts.

Focusing and recomposing is frankly the least of the concern for the EOS-M. The great thing about the touchscreen means you could just concentrate on composing your shots and click on the area you wish to focus on. The shot will be triggered when the focus is achieved on that spot.

And focus on the EF-M lens isn't really that slow. It might be slower than the other systems (no idea there, since I'd never been bothered with mirror-less until now), but it is definitely not slow.

Very different cameras of course, but I'm wondering...

The Canon G1X is also known as not being very fast at focusing, but something that has been noted by a number of us over at POTN is that part of the reason for that is that the camera is quite slow to confirm focus through the green box and the beep. You watch the lens focus and then lock...small pause...then the focus confirmation comes up. I'm wondering if the EOS M does something similar.

Without the focusing marking on the lens, I'm having difficulty with pre-focusing for any proper street-shooting.
So there's no electronic distance scale in the display? That's something the X-Pro does that allows for good zone focussing. No m43 bodies have it, but the 12mm lens has a great system for it on the lens barrel. Without either, I'd have to pass, as I ultimately did with the RX100 compact (which could have been a great little street shooter otherwise).

-Ray

The Canon G1X is also known as not being very fast at focusing, but something that has been noted by a number of us over at POTN is that part of the reason for that is that the camera is quite slow to confirm focus through the green box and the beep. You watch the lens focus and then lock...small pause...then the focus confirmation comes up. I'm wondering if the EOS M does something similar.

Never used the G1X before. However the focusing is quite similar to what you illustrated.

So there's no electronic distance scale in the display? That's something the X-Pro does that allows for good zone focussing. No m43 bodies have it, but the 12mm lens has a great system for it on the lens barrel. Without either, I'd have to pass, as I ultimately did with the RX100 compact (which could have been a great little street shooter otherwise).

Nope. Don't think there's an electronic distance scale. In fact, never found a need for distance scale display.

Back