Canon Canon EOS R5: Big if True

mike3996

Legend
Judging by the preannouncement by Canon, the upcoming EOS R5 is looking to be a big player.

I don't always see eye to eye with Canon wrt their lenses but I have to recognize their absurdly vast catalogue of EF lenses, many of which, are very good. With the RF lenses they chose to aim high for greatness and now if R5 is what they promise it is, there's a killer body to mount those beautiful lenses, new and old.

The body appears to share the dimensions of EOS R. Great too, it's a good sized body with good ergonomics, I understand. Great to have really strong cameras hit the market.

(The DPReview news article gathered 500 comments in a very short time. Assuming it's a riot between fanboys of various camps I'm not touching that s**tshow.)

If Canon decides to go "whole hog" and make a truly high end mirrorless camera without deliberating handicapping it to protect DSLR sales, it would be impressive.

Over at Youtubes, Jared Polin tried out the 1DX mark III and found its "mirrorless" capabilities very, very good. "Almost Sony A9 level good."

The development team at Canon is obviously keeping busy and there's a strong chance they're having a real Sony challenger at their hands, with their upcoming mirrorless release.

That is, if they choose to allow their mirrorless bodies be better than their DSLRs :)

This camera is bigger than what they hyped. It appears that the newly announced R5 does have the Sony A9 -tier mirrorless autofocus engine (first introduced in 1D X m3) in it.

Out of mercy for Sony fanboys, they let the battery life slip pretty bad. Can't have a knockout in round 2. ;)

Canon R6, a 20-megapixel sister model for $2400 can be a huge thing also, if it has the same autofocus mechanism -- 12 fps mechanical, 20 fps electronical with A9-tier tracking and metering.

I tried the Canon 1DXm3, the live view AF was very good. I'm sure the AF must be tweaked even better on the R6/R5. Though imagine a new camera buyer thinking the R6 is better than the R5, these camera brands and their nonsensical naming conventions!

My only issue with Canon is the cost the RF lenses! I'm shooting only Samyang and Tamron lenses on my Sony now. What's funny is that Sony was initially more expensive than Canon or Nikon DSLR gear, but now Sony is actually the cheapest in FF mirrorless! :D

Agreed on that! Makes me a jealous as a Nikon shooter! Also Canon has a 40mm STM pancake that Nikon refuses to match. If I was a Canon shooter, I could see myself going all in right now and completely ignore Sony and Nikon!
No question. At the very least, Canon just locked up their current base for the mirrorless future. Of course, I still think Canons are ugly, these included.

Last edited:
Canon definitely has my attention with these releases :) They don't have my money yet, I'll take my time...

Will be interesting to see examples of their dual-pixel background clarity adjustments (and the portrait relight)...

Dpreview "scared" me a bit in their "hands on preview":
They show the R5 with a HUGE zoom lens... turns out it's the 28-70 f2 instead of the 24-105mm which they mention in the text... :D

Canon definitely has my attention with these releases :) They don't have my money yet, I'll take my time...

Will be interesting to see examples of their dual-pixel background clarity adjustments (and the portrait relight)...

Dpreview "scared" me a bit in their "hands on preview":
They show the R5 with a HUGE zoom lens... turns out it's the 28-70 f2 instead of the 24-105mm which they mention in the text... :D
I just got front element envy.

It appears the overheating issues with video are true
Go to about the 8 minute mark. Most of the first 8 minutes are the video he was shooting. After that he talks about how the camera just quits and how he is unable to cool it down, even using ice.

It appears the overheating issues with video are true
Go to about the 8 minute mark. Most of the first 8 minutes are the video he was shooting. After that he talks about how the camera just quits and how he is unable to cool it down, even using ice.

There's a reason why Panasonic puts those air vents on the S1H. If I was a video guy, I'd only be using Panasonic. They do mirrorless video right!

So first everybody is like "nobody needs 8K video, this camera is useless (Sony plz sponsor me)"

And now "you can't shoot 8K for a prolonged time, this camera is useless (buy Sony!)"

🤡

Last edited:
Back