Canon Canon EOS RP - Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera

There is much angst over on the mu43 Canon RP thread. I think i’ll just wait for the reviews. 😛
There seems to be a lot of angst over there . . . E-M1X, S1 & S1R, EOS R, RP. It is highly unlikely I will ever own any of those, but I hope they are successful. People that go after shiny new toys often unload their old toys on the market, and I've gotten some very good deals on like new used camera gear over the past couple of years.

There is much angst over on the mu43 Canon RP thread. I think i’ll just wait for the reviews. 😛
There’s like 3-4 people having a jello wrestling match, not “much angst” just a couple folks who rub each other the wrong way. And, oddly enough, it has NOTHING to do with m43. It’s a canon vs Sony vs Nikon thread (or more generally it’s a canon-sux, no it doesn’t, thread).

Last edited:
Yeah, agree on that. I bowed out at like page 4 or something.

No one’s reported the thread to mods yet, so I guess the folks still participating are OK with what’s happening there. Not my cup of tea.

I agree. The tone over there has changed. When I even get attacked for statements like "the 75-300mm benefits from some stabilization (e.g. a monopod) to improve the results at the long end" then I don't know what to do 🙃

It's mostly due to some very active and "vocal" individuals, but since at least one of the moderators is part of that group, I didn't see how it's going to change anytime soon.

Getting a little off topic to the Canon RP thread, sorry :)
In regards to that - Canon has so far the most interesting mirrorless lenses to me. Not going to jump onto that anytime soon. But if my experience with compacts like the Pentax MX-1, Sigma DPs, Ricoh GR has taught me anything then it's that an excellent lens on a "limited" sensor stills yields better results than the other way round (not saying that it is the other way round on any of the mirrorless offerings ;) )

Uhm ... the longer I look at the RP, the more I think that (except for current Canon FF shooters) both the Sony A7 - yes, the original - and A7 II would be a better buy ... Even though I must admit that I find the RP paired with the 35mm f/1.8 Macro lens quite appealing - pretty compact and versatile, with solid IQ, judging from some images available online (CameraLabs have a preliminary review out). I'd have to handle an RP with the 24-105mm to perhaps change my mind ...

However, I fully recognise that I'm certainly not the target buyer for this camera, what with having decided to stay a Nikonite just recently. For compactness (and to have a "cheap" FF camera available), I'll also keep the A7 II around for the time being. Now if only Samyang could bring out their tiny, but compelling 35mm f/2.8 for Z mount ... I'd be another system short in short order :rolleyes-74:

M.

Yeah, it's an interesting time to read camera announcements - but probably a tough time if you want to buy right now :)

I'm waiting for the dust to settle and to see what's happening until in a year or two.
Another player right now is Panasonic. Panasonic's announcements looked great - but big and pricey. Will they gain any traction? Will they release smaller and lower-priced items? etc. etc. :)

Until then I'll keep busy with my old m43 stuff and my "new" D750... (and maybe the odd bargain here and there - knowing myself :-D )

Last edited:
I really like this camera but I’ve been burned by canon in the past. When shooting compacts in the early to mid 2000s, the Elph series was fantastic but then everyone else released 28mm wide and 4, 5x more zoom and 720p video and Canon did not. Fell behind like 2 years. Then I moved to APS-C and Nikon released the d90. Then shooting FF, the 6D had a single good AF point, and the 5DII just didn’t stack up to the d700.

Then mirrorless came out, and here we are. Canons first real contender a mere 10 years after mirrorless launched lol

But the rate of camera tech is slowing and the cheap canon lens are everywhere. It’s tempting.

I’ll be curious to see how well the older lenses work with the adapter.
Maybe we'll get a Nikon Z5 out of competition. 😉 This is hard to evaluate for me since I really don't shoot video so I don't understand the import of the things the Video guys are complaining about. I've read mixed things about the sensor but I gather it's good in low light but the DR is on the "meh" side. It's certainly small and fairly light but all the native lenses are very high end and expensive except for the kit zoom. The real competition for this is the Sony A7II but there is a big market of older Canon lenses that may swing the buyers. I seriously doubt Nikon and Sony are taking this lightly. Still, if I were going FF, I'd probably pay the extra and get a Z6.

Back