Fuji Canon FD lenses on Fujifilm X-series bodies

stratokaster

Top Veteran
Name
Pavel
I have 3 Canon FD lenses (24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2.8). I have tried them on 16MP Micro 3/4 cameras (which have approximately the same pixel density as 28MP APS-C) and found them a bit soft and glowy wide open. However, on Fujifilm X-E2 it's another story, even the 50mm lens (which the softest of them) is sharp wide open, although the contrast is a tad low. I will upload sample images later.

This is 100% crop at f/1.8. Not bad for a 35-years old lens.

Screen Shot 2015-12-25 at 18.27.24.png

Thank you, it was very informative. However, I was not making any definite conclusions regarding relative sharpness of Canon lenses, I simply mentioned that my copy of nFD 50/1.8 is the softest of the three lenses I have (although it's not actually soft).

The nFD 100/2.8 seems to be the sharpest and the most contrasty of the three. Maybe because it's a simple lens with only five elements and a relatively slow maximum aperture, but it certainly has more "bite" wide open than my nFD 50/1.8 which is not very contrasty at f/1.8 but improves rapidly when stopped down and is razor-sharp at f/2.8.

Thank you, it was very informative. However, I was not making any definite conclusions regarding relative sharpness of Canon lenses, I simply mentioned that my copy of nFD 50/1.8 is the softest of the three lenses I have (although it's not actually soft).

The nFD 100/2.8 seems to be the sharpest and the most contrasty of the three. Maybe because it's a simple lens with only five elements and a relatively slow maximum aperture, but it certainly has more "bite" wide open than my nFD 50/1.8 which is not very contrasty at f/1.8 but improves rapidly when stopped down and is razor-sharp at f/2.8.

The 24/2,8 gives on my Fuji X's a warm, slightly postcard look and sure is sharp enough. The same goes for my 35-105/3,5, one of my favorites. Compared to Fuji , they are not so overwhelmingly breathtaking razorsharp.
The 50/1,4 is a different thing, prone to CA, especially with an UV-filter on. Funny is, it is in only certain motives it shows up. I've not finalized the test-photos yet, it could be the UV-filter.
Fun is though the Industar 50/3,5, price - performance is beating all competetion!

-J!

Attachments

• DSCF4507.JPG
    DSCF4507.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF4203.JPG
    DSCF4203.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 123
Back