Canon Canon Finally Go Mirrorless

Yeah... but $800? Viewed in a vacuum, perhaps. But against competition, not so much.

The price difference to the X10 is about right, considering the vastly superior sensor. They are both priced about USD150 too high, though. Wait a few months and prices will drop.

lets wait and see

Well if the apperture is too narrow on tele end, dont go there in low light, if you dont even wanna pump up ISO. Think about it, f2.8 on 28mm FE is not bad for many of us here, who prefer only this focal length wide open on a sensor approx to APSC. well I know, shallow DOF will be a prob for some Street shooters, but lets wait and see how it will compare by some of you enthusiasts on streets against x10, before driving ourselves totally crazy, sitting here and speculating!

What will be the apperture on lets say 40mm? I still think its a step in the right direction and hope to get what I need from Canon in next iterations!

size :-o

I looked at the LCD screen .. compared the button and sizes with GH1 and felt its almost same size. Later I saw DPR size comparing photos and its huge/massive compare to Pany GX1. Sensor size is also not much bigger than 4/3. I think its of same diagonal size as of Pany GHx series.

So whoever like myself was thinking they pushed everything in small powershot Gn body shell, was plan wrong :(

I think this is a great move by canon. Will I buy one? Probably not since I think this camera is not for us that want the fastest glass etc. But for a massive amount of people and for all-round travel this is an excellent camera I'm sure. And for canon a much smarter move than to create an X100 fixed lens camera.

I can also imagine that this could be the basis for a future mirrorless product. Like what Fuji just did, first X100 next a full blown ILC. And with this sensor size, adapters for their EF and EF-S lenses are a slam dunk next to the EF-X (??) lenses specific for this one.

Just took a look at the DPReview hands on preview and I've stepped way back from my initial "wow, want it" reaction. Yep, great to have that huge sensor in there but there are other features of the G series which are missing and for me would be important
1) loss of the ISO dial.
2) Video button just where I could accidentally set it off
3) reduced battery capacity
4) annoying position of the tripod mount
5) retention of the completely useless OVF from the other G cameras.

oh well. I dont need another anyway <grin></grin>

My G10 will continue to be top dog among its ancestors who still live here: G2, G6, G7, and G9. Although there was an attractive G12 package I saw listed...

Well to me its equally useable on ISO1600 as G12 on on ISO200. A very impressive result!

For low light, it is equivalent to fitting an f/1.0-2.0(!) lens on the old G12 sensor to achieve comparable results. For good light, there is no equivalence. If I was still a G-series aficionado I'd be having all sorts of trouble convincing myself that this isn't a seriously good upgrade. Unfortunately after recently playing around with an old G9 I realise that I still AM a G-series aficionado!

So if I am looking for a travel camera, how would the G1X compare with the LX5 or would something like the S100 be ideal?

Comparable in low light condition?

Better overall camera in the G1X compared to the LX5?

For low light, it is equivalent to fitting an f/1.0-2.0(!) lens on the old G12 sensor to achieve comparable results. For good light, there is no equivalence. If I was still a G-series aficionado I'd be having all sorts of trouble convincing myself that this isn't a seriously good upgrade. Unfortunately after recently playing around with an old G9 I realise that I still AM a G-series aficionado!

So if I am looking for a travel camera, how would the G1X compare with the LX5 or would something like the S100 be ideal?

Comparable in low light condition?

Better overall camera in the G1X compared to the LX5?

I'm not really the right person to ask. My current travel camera kit would consist of two or three camera bodies and at least six lenses across two different systems. Travelling is a reason for me to take the best kit I have available, not a reason to leave it behind.

To give an opinion on the G1X and LX5 however; if the G1X works exactly like the G-series cameras before it but with the benefits of a larger sensor, and if the lens is up to the task (I have seen some examples for pre-production models showing that it softens noticably in the corners), I would choose it. However, further to my first paragraph, I would still then still have a hard time choosing a G1X over at least a small (1 body, 2-3 lens) Micro 4/3 kit.

Wow, sounds like a nice setup, but way too much stuff for my liking.

For travel purposes, would a 24mm be a requirement on something like the LX5 compared to the G1X which is 28mm?

I'm not really the right person to ask. My current travel camera kit would consist of two or three camera bodies and at least six lenses across two different systems. Travelling is a reason for me to take the best kit I have available, not a reason to leave it behind.

To give an opinion on the G1X and LX5 however; if the G1X works exactly like the G-series cameras before it but with the benefits of a larger sensor, and if the lens is up to the task (I have seen some examples for pre-production models showing that it softens noticably in the corners), I would choose it. However, further to my first paragraph, I would still then still have a hard time choosing a G1X over at least a small (1 body, 2-3 lens) Micro 4/3 kit.

many people spend their whole photographic lives happily shooting no wider than 28mm equivalent. For me, the wider the better, but that's just me. Also, you can always crop a photo to get "more zoom" afterwards, you can't go wider than the lens (unless you make a panorama which isn't always possible).

In your daily photography, so far, do you usually shoot at the wide end of your current camera, or more often at the long end? the definition of "wide enough" really depends on the shooter...

Wow, sounds like a nice setup, but way too much stuff for my liking.

When more than half of it is Micro 4/3 gear it is much smaller than you'd think, although all up it is still hardly compact :)

For travel purposes, would a 24mm be a requirement on something like the LX5 compared to the G1X which is 28mm?

24mm is a big plus point in the Panasonic's favour, but 28mm is still comfortably wide. If you particularly like the look a 24mm perspectives gives then maybe the Panasonic would be best suited to you, but if the reason is just to "fit more stuff in" it may be less of a priority. Preference for focal lengths tends to be quite a personal thing; some could travel with one standard 50mm equiv lens and not feel restricted because that is how they see photographically. I tend to shoot at whatever focal length seems appropriate and would go anywhere from 16mm to 200mm which is mostly why I prefer interchangable lens cameras.

Back