Canon G1X and Fuji X10 Viewfinders Compared

Amin

Hall of Famer
Today I took delivery of a Canon Powershot G1X and Fuji X10 from B&H. No time yet to put them through their paces, but one of the first things I noticed about the G1X is that it has the traditional "small tunnel" viewfinder of the Canon Powershot G-series. Comparing it to the Fuji X10 viewfinder is night and day.

Here's a side-by-side look at the view through the two viewfinders (G1X on the left, X10 on the right):

6798539802_02cafa966d_o.jpg

Both of these are showing the view for the lens set at 28mm equivalent. The X10 viewfinder is much larger, brighter, and has greater coverage. Also note how much of the Canon view is obstructed by the lens which hasn't even been extended at this point.

I think the G1X has a lot going for it and will surprise a lot of folks with how capable it proves to be for serious work, but after seeing what Fuji has done with the X10 optical viewfinder, it's disappointing that Canon hasn't upped their game in this area.

Here's a side-by-side look at the view through the two viewfinders (G1X on the left, X10 on the right):

View attachment 2843

Both of these are showing the view for the lens set at 28mm equivalent. The G1X viewfinder is much larger, brighter, and has greater coverage. Also note how much of the Canon view is obstructed by the lens which hasn't even been extended at this point.

Sorry Amin have you got the images the wrong way around or the text....as the image on the right (ascribed to the X10) appears "much larger, brighter, and has greater coverage" to my bespectacled eyes?

I was waiting to see that. Thanks Amin. It really surprises me that they didn't put any effort into the viewfinder. They could have simply used an EVF off of one of the super zooms and it would have been better.

Sorry Amin have you got the images the wrong way around or the text....as the image on the right (ascribed to the X10) appears "much larger, brighter, and has greater coverage" to my bespectacled eyes?

Oops, thanks for catching that. I fixed it now.

Thanks Amin, we don't often see comparisons like this between viewfinders, it's interesting. I had the chance to try the X10 for a few minutes a while ago, and I was suprised that the OVF actually felt usable. Looking at your image, it's clear the one on the G1X is for emergency only.

Amin, thanks so much for posting this. I hesitated on the X-10 partly because of my G-11 experience. Seeing the VF presented like this gives a much better notion of how very good it is. I don't suppose you have an X100 laying about that you could compare it with, too?

X100 OVF is a thing of beauty. Bright and big!! Haven't used any full frame DSLR's, but from my experience, the X100's OVF is only surpassed by a Zeiss Ikon's rangefinder OVF in terms of big and bright.

I think the difference between the X10 and X100 OVF is at least as significant as the difference between the G1X and the X10. The X100 OVF is much better than any APS-C camera's I've used.

I had a chance to try the G1X and G12 side-by-side today and can confirm that the viewfinders on those two cameras are similar enough to be considered identical.

With regards to Julien's comment above, I sort of agree. However, the X10 viewfinder is good enough that I would consider using it as a primary means of composition, and the G1X viewfinder is not.

I don't mind either of these viewfinders ; they do the job.

This is my X1 viewfinder
leicaviewfinder.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For £250 it isn't any more effective than that in the G1X and it makes the X10 viewfinder a bargain.

Back