Canon Canon G1X Imminent?

Couldn't see the preview video posted here so, for your viewing pleasure.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Not interested personally, but put those features and sensor in the s100 size and form factor and then that would be a serious compact and I'd be seriously tempted!!!

Somewhat serendipitously, at about the same time as the G1X was announced I found a G9 on eBay for the princely sum of $129 and decided to pull the trigger. This is actually my third G-series Canon, after having previously had a G10 and a G11 back in 2009-2010. My experience with the G10 was not extensive as I was happy to carry a DSLR more often than not, and the G11 even less since I bought an E-P1 soon after, which effectively ended my use of fixed-lens advanced compacts. Due to the limited usage I don't have much to show for time with either the G10 or G11, so my recollection of those cameras is more based on memory rather than physical evidence.

Now the G9 is hardly the newest camera going around and it is certainly not at the forefront of current technology, but the operation and feel of the camera is as I remember from the G10 and G11. It feels solid and comfortable to hold, although the controls are still cramped when compared to a DSLR. It is fairly slow and deliberate but it is in keeping with the general nature of the camera. Essentially the look and feel of the camera is most of what the G-series is about.

Linking this back to the G1X, if ever there was a compact camera that both cried out for and had the space available for a larger sensor it is the G-series. It is a bit of a mystery to me why it was only very recently that a camera was released (Nikon 1) with a sensor that sits in the large gap between 1/1.7" and 4/3. I can't help but feel that G1X is what the G12 should have been, or the G11, or the G10, or the G9... 2007 may have been too early to be producing a camera with the G1X's sensor size and lens specs, but surely something a little smaller would have been possible?

Four or so years ago, a zoom lens compact with a largish sensor would have been a sensation. In 2012, I still don't know how to feel about the G1X. I'm waiting to see some detailed reviews of final production model before making up my mind.

According to DXO Mark, the Canon PowerShot G1 X is the “Best Compact Camera", but my question is it for me or does another camera better suit my needs?

I picked up the LX5 when it was on a Lightening Deal on Amazon.com for $269.

So far, the camera has worked well, but mainly use the iA mode.

Guess what I am trying to determine is for my upcoming trip to Europe, would the LX5 serve the purpose or even though it would cost more, would getting the Canon G1X be worth it? Or a travel camera like the new Panasonic ZS15/ZS20 or even something like the Nikon P300 or just announced P310 (I am not interested in Raw).

I looked at the micro 4/3 cameras, but I really want to keep it simple and not mess with changing lenses.

Simplicity and IQ are my top priorities. Would appreciate any and all thoughts.

My problem with the Canon G1X is this: Compare camera dimensions side by side

Basically, a GF-whatever with the 14-42X zoom lens is no bigger, possibly smaller than the G1X. That's particularily striking if you use the top view. So even if you don't want to change the lens, and although the zoom ranges and aperture are not exactly the same, I think a micro 4/3 system may be a better choice (and will probably hold it's value better over time). But all the cameras/system than you listed have their pros and cons, so all choices can make sense depending on your needs.

I think your reply said it all, until the part about a micro 4/3 system being better after your previous words clearly indicated otherwise:

"So even if you don't want to change the lens, and although the zoom ranges and aperture are not exactly the same, I think a micro 4/3 system may be a better choice"

My problem with the Canon G1X is this: Compare camera dimensions side by side

Basically, a GF-whatever with the 14-42X zoom lens is no bigger, possibly smaller than the G1X. That's particularily striking if you use the top view. So even if you don't want to change the lens, and although the zoom ranges and aperture are not exactly the same, I think a micro 4/3 system may be a better choice (and will probably hold it's value better over time). But all the cameras/system than you listed have their pros and cons, so all choices can make sense depending on your needs.

Back