Canon Canon G1X Imminent?

As big as the Contax market was (i.e. not too big), but it is likely a halo product, which can shine on their other offerings. They're not going to be able to release a DSLR, and they don't have the muscle likely to go truly head-to-head with NEX, so niche is the right move for Fuji. I bet they get the want-it-but-cant-afford-a-Leica crowd (er, that'd be me), the "I never got off film yet" crowd, the "I want something different/retro/hipster crowd" and maybe some other small segments. I'll bet they do pretty well, though, and certainly seem in a better position than Oly for 2012, as an example (as sad as it may be).

I agree that (assuming the leaked specs are on the money) the X-Pro is exactly where Fuji should be in the market following the X100, but I can't see the actual X-Pro camera itself troubling the scorers too much when they add up sales figures at the end of the year.

I agree that (assuming the leaked specs are on the money) the X-Pro is exactly where Fuji should be in the market following the X100, but I can't see the actual X-Pro camera itself troubling the scorers too much when they add up sales figures at the end of the year.
Granted but when totalled up with other x-series sales, not to mention the consumer compacts, such as their S and F series (not to mention the A, Z,J and 3Ds - see still no Y, O or U models ;)), I think Fuji might be pleasantly surprised. I also think their not competing in the dSLR market will see them lose some market share, but I have to agree with Biro that this sector will diminish slowly over time (especially with "mum and dad shooters" who want better shots of the kids and vacations upgrading from a compact to a mirror-less rather than the current trend to more serious dSLRs). Also I think it a prudent move on their behalf - Fuji not the mums and dads - to anticipate this market turn.

Sorry - to keep the reply tethered to the Canon G- subject matter - I still think that the big beasts will need to innovate soon. Otherwise they will go the way of former big names such as Konica, Minolta, Pentax.....

sounds good to me.

1.5" sensor sits between APS-C and M4/3. Depending on the Lens (we only know f2.5 at 28mm so far), it could be a pretty cool camera.

$800 for a fixed lens camera with big sensor is not bad considering X100 is around $1200 and G1X gives you versatility of a zoom lens.

would be interested once I learn about the size, weight and actual performance (both operational and image quality). :)

An evolutionary replacement for the G12 is not really what I am looking for from Canon, bigger sensor or not. Great looking cameras, great controls, but I replaced a G10 and G11 with Micro 4/3 and am not looking to return to a fixed lens camera of that size.

Nah, full-blown APS-C mirrorless system or nothing. That's the news I'm waiting to hear from Canon (not the nothing bit, there's been plenty of that already!). I've already got all the DSLR gear that I want from them and don't see anything new from the last couple of years that interests me. I'm effectively a lost customer for Canon at the moment.

I think Nikon 1 is bigger than 2/3". 2/3" is the X10's sensor size, which is supposedly smaller than the Nikon 1.

nikon 1 sensor size is 1" (2.7x crop factor) which is better than x10 with 3/2 (1 /1.5").

if my maths serves me right, 1.5" will sit between m4/3 (1.35"??) and apsc (1.8")

i got the size in inch figure according to crop factor but i could be completely wrong lol.

I'm guessing they mean 1/1.5 strictly on the manageability of a fixed zoom of that range, but I don't really know. Wont be too long to find out.

Agree!

I've gotta be frank here....

This seems a little too late from a major manufacturer. This ground has been covered by Olympus and Fuji - you would think with their budget they could invest more in compact R&D. Very disappointing indeed!

Sorry!..... but, hey, the upshot is that manufacturers, like Fuji, et. al., are now capturing a very attentive market segment and good on them! Canon will always serve the masses with their dSLRs and teeny sensor compacts. But in the middle fertile ground, giants will be born. I predict Fuji will rank third in the camera sales stakes by as early as September 2012 - elbowing Sony with it's new X-mount sales (I know big call..)

How would the G1X perform in low light conditions compared to the LX5? Although the sensor is larger, with the slower lens would the LX5 still be the better performer in low light?

Equiv FL (mm) Maximim aperture
28 mm F2.8

35 mm F3.5

50 mm F4.5

85 mm F5.6

110 mm F5.6

112 mm F5.8

It appears as though the voice of dissent has finally taken over the Canon Lens Cap Design Division (CLCDD) and they have come up with a lens cap that can be removed and attached easily when a lens hood is fitted.

The good thing about this camera is that it finally opened an inevitable door. This is the future of cameras like the ZX-1, TL500 and LX5 (Pana already mentioned the possibility of releasing the next LX with a larger sensor). In this way this camera is really a pioneer.

Sorry but if the next LX is a camera this size with a lens this slow I'll be keeping my LX3 until it falls apart and then looking elsewhere.

How would the G1X perform in low light conditions compared to the LX5? Although the sensor is larger, with the slower lens would the LX5 still be the better performer in low light?

Equiv FL (mm) Maximim aperture
28 mm F2.8

35 mm F3.5

50 mm F4.5

85 mm F5.6

110 mm F5.6

112 mm F5.8

At wide angle, the G1X should be easily able to compensate the slightly slower lens with its high ISO capabilities. Ay 85mm equivalent, its lens is has a maximum aperture of f5.6, whereas the LX5 can go to f3.3 at 90mm; that's about a stop and a half difference. If for a given scene and shutter speed, the LX5 can get away with ISO 400, the G1X will have to use roughly ISO 1000.
The following 2 images are of the Canon G12 (which has a slightly better high ISO performance than the LX5) at ISO 400, and the Canon G1X at ISO 1600:
canon-g12-400iso-nrstan.jpg
canon-g1-x-1600iso-nrstan.jpg

(source: Test Canon PowerShot G1 X : gestion du bruit électronique - Focus Numérique)

As you can see, the G1X at 2 stops higher ISO still has better colour, more sharpness and less noise - so it should be able to overcome the 1.5 stop difference in lens speed.

Back