Canon Canon G1X

nippa

Top Veteran
Name
Dennis
Amin , BB et al .......

Any thoughts about which forum should be used for the G1X?
It's not exactly a small sensor.
When the sun finally comes out I'll post some images but into which forum?

Nippa I see your dilemma - its sensor is larger than mft but it is a fixed lens. Hopefully Amin can find a spot for the G1X but for now post in one of the Image Thread forums and we can move them later.

I'll just add that Open Gear is a fine place for a specific camera's image thread if there is no other appropriate sub forums at this point. Now if you have photos that do fit into a specific sub forum on the Image Threads forums, that's fine, as well....but if they're all over the place in subject matter, maybe Open Gear is more appropriate?

I'll just add that Open Gear is a fine place for a specific camera's image thread if there is no other appropriate sub forums at this point. Now if you have photos that do fit into a specific sub forum on the Image Threads forums, that's fine, as well....but if they're all over the place in subject matter, maybe Open Gear is more appropriate?

This is my third day with the camera ( the brick ) and only the first with any sunshine!
Not sure if I'll get a chance to use it today but I'll try.

First impressions are that it's a bit like my Leica X1! It's all about the IQ.

Disappointed by how old fashioned it feels compared to the X10 and its clunky focusing but the lens is really good and the sensor is soooo low noise.
Early days but the IQ seems better than my Sony A55 DSLR and CZ 16-80 lens.

Still can't decide if I'll keep the Fuji X10 as well ( it's sitting here in a pre-paid envelop addressed to Amazon).

Early days but the IQ seems better than my Sony A55 DSLR and CZ 16-80 lens.
Wow, that's a pretty high standard. I very briefly had an A33 with that lens - didn't really like shooting with the camera but I thought the IQ was extremely good. Of course that was my first try with an APS camera so maybe my standards weren't that high, but I have a handful of shots from those few days and they still look very good to me. That's a lot to get from a camera just a bit bigger than a G12 with a bit of a zoom range...

-Ray

Actually Ray my A55 has always seems a bit soft although there appears to be no backfocus issues with it.
Too busy today to use the camera but here is an example of the closest macro you can get ( about A4 size )

IMG_0205a.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'll switch to the Open Gear Forum with more images when I manage to get out and about.
Meanwhile I'm keeping the X10. Imagine how close I could have got with that.

Thank you for this beautiful spring photo with your G1X. It gives me hope on this dreary, rainy day here in New Yawk.

Glad you're keeping the X10, if only for enjoying kindred spirits :grouphug: among those of X10 folks.

I'm moving this thread into the Open Gear forum. Looking forward to more pictures, soon, Dennis!

Lovely photo! But if that's the closest macro you can get your clever keeping the X10, this camera is no good for me then.

Thats the one thing thats stopping me (apart from being broke, that is). If I have a compact without a dedicated macro lens (as in DSLR with which I can have a macro lens) then I am not interested. I've been disappointed with the so called macro of the X100 too. Its just not. Closeup, sure. But not macro. Thats another reason I chose the XZ instead of the X-10 because you cant get closer than 10cm with that, either IIRC. If I am going to do compact macro I want to get up close and personal. Otherwise I'll use the DSLR (or an Oly or Panny ILC if I had one) with an appropriate lens. I think I am leaning more toward more lenses than to buy more compacts, serious or not :-/

Thats another reason I chose the XZ instead of the X-10 because you cant get closer than 10cm with that, either IIRC.
The X10 has both macro and "super macro" settings. With super macro you can get within something insane like a half centimeter. Even with the regular macro setting I think you can get a lot closer than 10cm.

-Ray

The X10 has both macro and "super macro" settings. With super macro you can get within something insane like a half centimeter. Even with the regular macro setting I think you can get a lot closer than 10cm.

-Ray

Oh really! I thought it was 10cm. Teach me to trust word of mouth, should have paid more attention here. OK... Guess its back on the wishlist then :)

Part of the reason why small sensor compacts offer such good macro modes is due to the physical size of the sensor. The lenses themselves don't have particularly high magnification ratios, but because the image projected on a small sensor has to be scaled up so much more for a given viewing size there is an effective increase in magnification which gives those cameras their apparent macro capabilities. The G1X doesn't have a small sensor so it's ability to do macro with a normal zoom lens is limited, just like a 4/3 or APS-C sensor camera.

Back