Canon Canon G5 or S70?

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
I have an interest in IR photography having tried the external filter approach and dedicated DSLR with hot filter replaced.

Have found both these Canon models for sale on fleaBay for less than the conversion cost. The G5 has a 665nM filter which allows some visible to pass giving 'faux' colours and the S70 has a 715nM which is mostly IR giving the more mono look.

The S70 is a newer 7MP camera compared to the 5MP G5.

I'm leaning towards the S70 but open to suggestions.

Bill, is that good or bad? Or truly moot? I'm sorry that you didn't get any feedback regarding IR photography and these cameras. Did you decide to go with the G5? I had thought you were, or had been, using one of the Olympus PEN cameras for this? Am I mistaken?

Bill, is that good or bad? Or truly moot? I'm sorry that you didn't get any feedback regarding IR photography and these cameras. Did you decide to go with the G5? I had thought you were, or had been, using one of the Olympus PEN cameras for this? Am I mistaken?

I had an E-500 converted which I sold some time ago (pre- MFT) and regretted soon after. Had considered converting a Pen but the cost of the G5 is less than the conversion cost for a Pen. IQ of the G5 should be fine for landscapes which seem to be the staple diet for IR. Still to pull the trigger.

Back