Canon Canon G7X

No surprise that the LX100 is the best. But it's not completely clear between the other two. Given that both the Canon and Sony have the same sensor, it's down to the lenses and image-processing engines. Depending on which camera one liked better in terms of user interface, one could probably live with the IQ.

So in Auto mode does the RX100 III offer the best images without any processing compared to the G7X?

Total matter of taste. Seems like Canon jpegs are generally better liked than Sony jpegs, but I'm sure there are those who prefer Sony's treatment. I'm totally agnostic - I don't shoot jpegs unless I don't have any choice. But there's so much going on in auto-mode, you'd probably have to judge on a shot by shot basis. I'm sure each of them does a "scene" assessment of some sort (since you're not using "scene" mode to tell it what it's doing, it has to figure it out) and one might better at getting that right for some types of scenes and the other might be better at the other...

I don't think you can make a blanket statement in response to a question like this...

-Ray

Total matter of taste. ...
I don't think you can make a blanket statement in response to a question like this...

-Ray

I agree completely. It seems that if you are inclined to prefer Panasonic or Sony or Canon you can tilt your head and squint your eyes in such a way as to think ":your" brand is much better than the others. The reality seems to be that none of these new cameras will stand up well to obsessive pixel peeping, but that they are all pretty damn good for "normal" use. To me that is a good thing.

I agree completely. It seems that if you are inclined to prefer Panasonic or Sony or Canon you can tilt your head and squint your eyes in such a way as to think ":your" brand is much better than the others. The reality seems to be that none of these new cameras will stand up well to obsessive pixel peeping, but that they are all pretty damn good for "normal" use. To me that is a good thing.

Yeah, there's an amazing thread over on DPP breaking down all of the details of the software correction done at 24mm in the G7X and RX100 III and if you look at the test charts you could think you had a disastrous mess on your hands, with both but more with the G7X than RX100 III. But I've got a bunch of 24mm shots with the G7X and if you pixel peep the corners hard enough, you can sort of see imperfections, but you've gotta have incredible expectations for what a pocket camera can be to decide ANYTHING based on that. These images look absolutely incredible to me, and doubly so for a pocket camera. And the corners look fine under anything but extreme pixel peeping and arguably then too, but just not quite perfect.

I absolutely couldn't see choosing between these based on IQ (again, unless you're shooting jpegs and just prefer Canon or Sony or Olympus or Fuji jpegs, because people do). But the level of technical analysis of two great pocket cameras is just kind of mind-boggling to me...

-Ray

Yeah, there's an amazing thread over on DPP breaking down all of the details of the software correction done at 24mm in the G7X and RX100 III and if you look at the test charts you could think you had a disastrous mess on your hands, with both but more with the G7X than RX100 III. But I've got a bunch of 24mm shots with the G7X and if you pixel peep the corners hard enough, you can sort of see imperfections, but you've gotta have incredible expectations for what a pocket camera can be to decide ANYTHING based on that. These images look absolutely incredible to me, and doubly so for a pocket camera. And the corners look fine under anything but extreme pixel peeping and arguably then too, but just not quite perfect.

I absolutely couldn't see choosing between these based on IQ (again, unless you're shooting jpegs and just prefer Canon or Sony or Olympus or Fuji jpegs, because people do). But the level of technical analysis of two great pocket cameras is just kind of mind-boggling to me...

-Ray

I agree. My eyes begin to glaze over when people begin to drill that deeply into pixel-peeping and IQ at 100% - and more. I don't look at my photos at 100% and I don't print to poster size. That's the fallacy of the 100% view and some people just can't seem to get past that.

Back