Canon Canon G9X vs. Original Sony RX100

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I'm looking for some specific information about the Canon G9X compared with the original Sony RX100 and I'd really like to hear from those who've used both - or anyone who can add some real insight into either. I'm considering these two cameras for a specific kind of mission.

Imagine taking some people out to a fancy restaurant on a special occasion. The lighting is quite soft, even low. I'm dressed in a suit, blazer or sport coat (But no pants!). When I take my shots of people, I want to use natural light as flash would probably bother other diners.

So I need true pocketability - as in shirt pocket or suit jacket/blazer pocket. I need good image quality from that compact camera, hence the one-inch sensors. And I need reasonably fast but reliable autofocus in dim light. I need these to be very good snapshots but I am not creating high art in this kind of situation. Nor am I pixel-peeping.

I had been using a Fuji XF1 for this mission. But it's clear the 2/3 sensor is at its limits in that kind of environment and the autofocus on that older Fuji model isn't really up to the task.

It's clear the G9X is a bit more pocketable than the RX100 but the Mark I version of the Sony would probably work as well. I don't want to get any larger than that. I am specifically interested in which camera has the faster and/or more-accurate autofocus in low light as well as the better overall image quality in low light. And, finally, which would you pick between the two for my mission and why?

The Canon and Sony are now pretty close when it comes to price, at $429 and $399 respectively. I'm agnostic on touchscreen versus physical controls. I've used both and am fine with either on such a camera. I don't know if the longer focal range of the Sony makes much difference in this case. I just need to know which will give me the best, most-reliable results in the situation I described above.

As for the RX100 III and IV, they're out of the picture for reasons involving price, size and weight. I have mixed feelings about buying another camera at all. If I do, another camera in my oversized kit will have to go.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Last edited:
Have you considered the Ricoh GR? I know it doesn't have a zoom lens, but for low light/no flash pictures you don't want to be zooming a RX100 so you end up with f4.9 anyway.

AF isn't blazing fast, but it's adequate, and you have snap focus as well.

I find it much better in lowlight than my RX100 classic, well I find it better for any application that doesn't require zooming really.

Have you considered the Ricoh GR? I know it doesn't have a zoom lens, but for low light/no flash pictures you don't want to be zooming a RX100 so you end up with f4.9 anyway.

AF isn't blazing fast, but it's adequate, and you have snap focus as well.

I find it much better in lowlight than my RX100 classic, well I find it better for any application that doesn't require zooming really.

Yes, Chris, I have the Ricoh GR and I plan on taking it to a dinner next week to check out the autofocus in that environment and see if it'll be what I'm looking for in this case. Right now, the only other potential issue is the length of the GR's body. It tends to stick out of shirt and suit jacket pockets. Anyway, just in case, I want to be able to jump on the Canon or Sony before another, more important dinner in the near future.

Last edited:
You can check the reviews for both and compare:
Canon PowerShot G9 X : Test complet
AF speed: Canon G9 X - Infogram, charts & infographics
Sony Cyber-shot RX100 : Test complet
RX100 AF speed:
RX100_vitesse.jpg

Canon Powershot G9 X Review
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Serious Compact Review

Back