Leica Canon L1 v Leica III

Hap

Top Veteran
Not that I am necessarily on the edge of Leica defection......but I've looked around at Leica III's which seem ideal screwmounts, except when you don't wish to squint....or ping pong into finders....or get a degree in film loading.

So I'm just wondering if one of you of the faithful have strayed to canon occasionally, and perhaps bought an L1.

The Canon P has a 1x parallel corrected viewfinder with Brightlines for 35/50/100 focal length. Also has metal shutter curtains, and will run $100~$150 these days. I prefer it over the L1.

15629693639_e1e613a432_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
canonp_sonnars by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I also have a bottom loading Canon, but prefer the Canon P.

15014188312_b3a6f6371a_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Canon III and Mini-Me by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Well, I've thought about the P....and these are literally everywhere and therefore less expensive...although closer to 200 as opposed to 100$. L1 is a version prior to P, I believe and some folks prefer for various reasons. P might be larger. I was hoping for a screwmount with a form factor and shooting experience closer to a Leica III. Not sure how much use I would get out of a screwmount that wasn't that much different from my M's.

Thanks

I had an L1, and a Canon V-T. The larger size of the Canon P does not bother me. If you want the smallest Canon possible- go with a Canon III, as shown.

I guess I don't really desire a screwmount just for the LTM. Otherwise I'd certain go for a P. But it is substantially a redundant experience to my M's which I am also quite partial to.

Thanks

I have always been attracted to Nicca, but still the separate viewfinder and rf. Some models have a M type hinged back. Very late models have rewind levers, open backs, and all the other needed improvements. However, who can fix a Nicca? We all know who can fix and find parts for a Barnack.

Also, NIccas generally come with Nikkor 50's usually f2. Part of the appeal of a Barnack or copy is collapsible lens and ability to squirrel away the camera in a "big" pocket. I have a Elmar 50 collapsible, but it's strictly M mount.

Youxin Ye will repair Niccas, contact him first.

The earlier Canons will allow the collapsible lenses to fully retract. I'm not sure about the L1 and Canon V series, the Canon IV series and older do not have the light baffles that interfere with the lens tube.

Back