Canon Canon launches EOS M100 with 24MP sensor and Dual Pixel AF

Aushiker

Hall of Famer
May 25, 2015
Fremantle, Western Australia
Andrew

Source: DPReview

The full blog posting can be found at DPReview but a summary of the key points is below:

Canon has announced the successor to its EOS M10 with the EOS M100, bringing a 24.2MP sensor with Dual Pixel autofocus to the entry-level mirrorless range for the first time. A DIGIC 7 processor brings other improvements like a boost from 1080/30p to 1080/60p video capture and 4 fps burst shooting with continuous AF (6 fps with single AF) compared to the M10's 2.2 fps with C-AF.

The Canon EOS M100 maintains its predecessor's built-in Wi-Fi with NFC, tilting 3" 1.03M-dot touchscreen, and pop-up flash. Bluetooth connectivity is also available, allowing for a constant connection between camera and mobile device. Canon says it's the slimmest and lightest of its M-series offerings yet, and touts a newly designed touch interface for its beginner-friendly Creative Assist mode.

The Canon M100 will be available in black or white, and is expected to ship in October for $600 with 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM lens, or $950 with 15-45mm and 55-200mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM.

Luke

Super Moderator
Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
maybe they don't focus on the lenses because they view mirrorless as for "non-serious" photographers. Like if you're "serious" about photography to want a good prime lens, you'll buy one of their DSLRs. I'm not saying I agree, but a DSLR-centric camera company, that may be their line of thinking.

Chris2500dk

Top Veteran
Dec 22, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's basicly the same size as the Sony A5100 and the sensor is about the same quality, maybe a bit worse. But it does have Dual Pixel AF and the 22mm pancake lens is much better than the Sony pancake options.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, Virginia
Steve
I thought the original M was a good camera except for the terribly slow AF. I assume they have fixed that by now. My big problem with this system is the lens selection overall compared to mu43.

Latest threads

Top Bottom