Canon Canon R 800mm and 600mm f/11 lenses

Some µ4/3 fans suddenly forgot their mantra and started to bash these lenses. Hitting close to home? I think these are great lenses (alongside the 24-105 that goes to f/7.1 in the deep end) that take note of the design philosophies from M4/3.

Some µ4/3 fans suddenly forgot their mantra and started to bash these lenses. Hitting close to home? I think these are great lenses (alongside the 24-105 that goes to f/7.1 in the deep end) that take note of the design philosophies from M4/3.
There was a thread over on mu43 forum where someone suggested lenses just like these. He took a lot of heat but mu43 standards, although it was pretty tame by DPR standards. I understood the idea but doubted the FF makes would want to do it. Apparently they do, and this could be great for photography in general. Many of us buy constant aperture 2.8 zooms, etc., because of the optical quality and not because we need the speed. I've always wanted the cheaper variable aperture zooms with high optical quality. To me, what's most amazing about these lenses is their price point, $700 and $900.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure anymore, that optical quality and max aperture go hand in hand! It was the case even back in the day when Canon 24-70 f/2.8L was performing worse than the f/4L variant.

Leica has consistently made variable aperture zoom masterpieces, the technique itself doesn't mean anything.

Even if Canon made their variable aperture RF lenses to a lower standard, these days the baseline is so damn high nobody except a pixel peeper is going to notice it.

These two lenses go a bit extreme maybe in their slowness but I would personally like to see a FF version of my current favorite landscape lens, the Panasonic 35-100 f4-5.6.

In FF terms it would be a 70-200 f/8-11. Perhaps it cannot be done in 113 grams(!) for full frame but certainly whatever can be done to keep it below 400 grams would be interesting.

It is the lack of lightweight, slow but sharp 70-200 lenses in FF that keep me personally (partly) invested in M4/3 world. This can very well change if Canon rides this new tide successfully.

Back